ADSM-L

Re: Tape Library Sharing 2nd Time

2003-03-24 17:32:05
Subject: Re: Tape Library Sharing 2nd Time
From: Steve Harris <Steve_Harris AT HEALTH.QLD.GOV DOT AU>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 25 Mar 2003 08:29:13 +1000
Jim,

That's pretty much what I did.
One issue - at AIX 5.1 rml03, TSM 4.2.3.2 on client and server, after I do the
define library on the client, the server starts giving mount errors.
ANR8301E I/O error on library ATL (OP=004C6D31, SENSE=00.00.00.67).
ANR9790W Request to mount volume *SCRATCH* for library client TSMXIBM failed.
ANR0409I Session 447 ended for server TSMXIBM (AIX-RS/6000).

but also for mounts from the server to itself.

The server has to be bounced to make this go away.

Regards

Steve Harris
AIX and TSM Admin
Queensland Health, Brisbane Australia

>>> james.sporer AT DOIT.WISC DOT EDU 25/03/2003 6:32:57 >>>
>Since I didn't get an answer the first time I sent this I assume nobody
>has ever done it.  Does anybody have an opinion on whether it can be done
>this way or must I copy all of the data?
>Jim Sporer

>>Date: Tue, 18 Mar 2003 15:21:47 -0600
>>To: adsm-l AT vm.marist DOT edu
>>From: Jim Sporer <james.sporer AT doit.wisc DOT edu>
>>Subject: Tape Library Sharing
>>Cc: JAMES J SPORER <james.sporer AT doit.wisc DOT edu>
>>
>>I have a 3494 ATL that is shared between two TSM servers.  Right now the
>>Library is partitioned, meaning I have a separate set of private and
>>scratch categories for each of the servers.  I would like to change the
>>library so one of the TSM servers is the primary library manager.  Can I
>>do this using the following steps?
>>
>>1)  Set up server to server communication between the library manager
>>server and the library client server on both TSMs.
>>2)  Update the library manager server library to shared=yes.
>>3)  On the library client TSM checkout all tapes with the remove=no option.
>>4)  delete the 3590 drives on the library client TSM.
>>5)  delete the library on the library client TSM.
>>6)  define the library on the library client TSM (define library
>>libraryname libtype=shared primarylibmanager=primarytsm)
>>7)  define the 3590 drives on the library client.  We are running TSM
>>4.2.1.7.
>>8)  issue the checkin command on the library client for the volumes
>>checked out in step 3.
>>(checkin libvol libraryname status=private checklabel=barcode search=yes)
>>
>>I have a question about step 8.  Do I issue the checkin command on the
>>primary library manager or the library client.  If I issue the checkin on
>>the primary library manager how does the primary library manager know
>>that the tapes belong to the library client?
>>Jim Sporer

This e-mail, including any attachments sent with it, is confidential
and for the sole use of the intended recipient(s). This confidentiality
is not waived or lost if you receive it and you are not the intended
recipient(s), or if it is transmitted/ received in error.

Any unauthorised use, alteration, disclosure, distribution or review
of this e-mail is prohibited.  It may be subject to a statutory duty of
confidentiality if it relates to health service matters.

If you are not the intended recipient(s), or if you have received this
e-mail in error, you are asked to immediately notify the sender by
telephone or by return e-mail.  You should also delete this e-mail
message and destroy any hard copies produced.