ADSM-L

Re: File scan takes ages during backup

2003-03-21 14:23:19
Subject: Re: File scan takes ages during backup
From: Richard Foster <Richard.Foster AT HYDRO DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 21 Mar 2003 20:22:12 +0100
Geoff

> I sure wish it were as easy, and great, as some make it sound.

> I have a server with almost 5 million files on it. There aren't that
> many changes that take place daily. I've installed journaling and it
> still takes over 12 hours to run the backup. No magic here.

I didn't say it was easy - in fact, it was damned hard to get it to work.
The problem was that the Journal service kept stopping. I had to open a PMR
with support. In the end I made 2 changes to the tsmjbbd.ini file:
NotifyFilter=0x00000113
NotifyBufferSize=0x00400000

I think it was the buffer size that was the key. You need to give the
journal LOTS of memory for it to keep up with all the messages the disk
handler throws at it.

Another thing we looked at was anti-virus software on the server. There was
(maybe still is) a known issue with this, which is mentioned in the Readme.
I seem to remember that this was the reason for the filter settings. Our
filter settings are not what are in the Readme, after discussions with
support. YMMV - the general idea is to cut down on all unecessary messages.
Plus we set the registry key mentioned in the Readme.

I think this has come up quite a few times already, and you'll probably
find other suggestions in the archives.

Richard Foster
Norsk Hydro asa

This e-mail with attached documents is only for the intended recipient
and may contain information that is confidential and/or privileged.
any unauthorised reading, copying, disclosure or distribution of the
e-mail and/or attached documents is expressly forbidden, and may be a
criminal offence, and that Hydro shall not be liable for any action
taken by you based on the electronically transmitted information.
If you have received this e-mail by mistake, you are kindly requested
to immediately inform the sender thereof and delete the e-mail and
attached documents.