ADSM-L

Re: Win2000 Restore

2003-03-20 10:06:42
Subject: Re: Win2000 Restore
From: "Robertson, G Louis (BearingPoint)" <glouisrobertson AT BEARINGPOINT DOT NET>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 20 Mar 2003 10:04:29 -0500
Jack,

I have a presched .bat file that contains the following line:

ntbackup backup systemstate /f "C:\Systemstate.bkf" /m copy

This is the command line version of Microsoft Backup program usually found
under Start:Programs:Accessories:System Tools:Backup .  This command will
start the MS Backup utility and only backup the systemstate (which contains
all you registry information and associated files). I always overwrite the
old file each time my incremental backup runs because of space limitations
on my servers (the systemstate.bkf file is approximately 250 MB in size).
For more information on the syntax of ntbackup type "ntbackup /?" at a
command prompt.

To restore I do the following:

1. Install temp windows (winnt directory)
2. Restore C drive (and other drives)
3. Restore system objects
4. Reboot
5. Start MS Backup (Start:Programs:Accessories:System Tools:Backup) and use
the GUI to restore the system state from the systemstate.bkf file.

If you need it I have a draft copy of our restore procedures that I can send
you.

Louis
G Louis Robertson
Senior Systems Analyst