ADSM-L

Re: Client login with admin id and password

2003-03-19 16:56:21
Subject: Re: Client login with admin id and password
From: "Prather, Wanda" <Wanda.Prather AT JHUAPL DOT EDU>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 19 Mar 2003 16:55:44 -0500
Don,

DSMCAD isn't the only exposure
With DSMCAD on, a help desk person can be working on node DESKTOP1 and cause
files TO BE RESTORED to node PAYROLSERVER.

But even with DSMCAD turned off, I can be on my node DESKTOP1 and do:

dsm -virtualnodename=PAYROLSERVER

I override the password popup with my admin id, and I can restore files from
PAYROLSERVER to MY desktop.
Now I have a copy of the payroll files, and nobody knows it but me.

There is no footprint left on PAYROLSERVER (because its password was not
changed).  The only footprint in the TSM activity log is that the SESSION
STARTED message in the activity log shows a different IP address  (but with
DHCP that may not be a reliable bit of information).

Just wanted to make that clear.

Personally, I would PREFER to see a server audit trail for any TSM access
that is done by overriding the normal password.  But I agree with you that
most site's auditability requirements would be satisfied with having the
admin id displayed in the SESSION STARTED message any time it is used to
override the normal password.

The inability of the TSM administrator to get at information without leaving
a footprint was a SELLING point when we originally bought this software, and
I was NOT happy when they added the "feature" that opened this hole.  But, I
haven't made a lot of noise about it.  I just make sure not too many people
have SYSTEM level access....

Thanks
Wanda