ADSM-L

Re: Creating two tape copies offsite with each has Different Retention

2003-03-19 12:11:48
Subject: Re: Creating two tape copies offsite with each has Different Retention
From: DFrance <DFrance-TSM AT ATT DOT NET>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 19 Mar 2003 09:12:23 -0800
Ed,

You are right on both counts;  backup objects have one set of retention
parameters, from the MC in the backup copygroup;  backupset is one way to
achieve different retention (for all the active objects at the point-in-time
it's created); another method is to use more than one nodename, and/or play
with export/import -- not really the intended backup/restore scenario TSM was
designed to handle.... the only way to achieve different retention (in TSM) for
any given set of files is to use archive, and vary the management class (which
maps to specific retention).

In v5, backupset performance has been improved -- especially, client-side
restore.

BTW, this idea runs counter to the TSM-copypool & backup philosophy...
1.  if it's worth backing up, it's worth duplicating,,, or,
2.  Never trust your backup data to a single piece of tape!
3.  This scenario seems to ignore the possibility that a media failure (ie,
either congenital defect or "the operator dropped the cartridge")

HTH.

Don France
Technical Architect -- Tivoli Certified Consultant
Tivoli Storage Manager, WinNT/2K, AIX/Unix, OS/390
San Jose, Ca
(408) 257-3037
mailto:don_france AT ayett DOT net (change aye to a for replies)

Professional Association of Contract Employees
(P.A.C.E. -- www.pacepros.com)