ADSM-L

Re: TSM Security

2003-03-17 15:39:52
Subject: Re: TSM Security
From: Richard Sims <rbs AT BU DOT EDU>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Mon, 17 Mar 2003 15:39:17 -0500
>IT Security is getting on me to provide better security for TSM server, the
>TSM Clients, the Tape Library and, most importantly, the filespace.  I
>cannot find very much documentation on security other than ports used
>through a firewall and passwordaccess generate options (I hear we can even
>encrypt these).  Is there a white paper out there or has someone went
>through this already and can share what they found?

I don't know of a summary paper describing TSM security; but the manuals,
and particularly the Technical Guide redbooks, fully describe what's
available in the product.  The product has historically depended upon
being in a physically secure environment, but recent additions like
encrypted communication has improved things.  Use of Encrypted File
Systems on the client is another booster.  The absence of documentation
for the proprietary aspects of the product, such as tape format, further
facilitates security.  :-)

  Richard Sims, BU