ADSM-L

Re: Canceling a Reclamation FAST

2003-03-13 14:03:46
Subject: Re: Canceling a Reclamation FAST
From: "Stapleton, Mark" <stapleto AT BERBEE DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 13 Mar 2003 13:03:41 -0600
From: Paul Ripke [mailto:stixpjr AT BIGPOND.NET DOT AU]
>Sneaky! Since TSM *has* to be able to cope with this scenario
>gracefully, it does surprise me somewhat that there isn't a
>"cleaner" way of doing this - something like "cancel process
>123 immediate=y".

As I've said before, there's a good reason why many processes can't stop
on a dime.

Example:
You're running space reclamation. The server is finished copying a 1GB
file from one tape volume to another. The pointer in the TSM database to
the old copy gets updated, but you *stop* the process before the pointer
for the new copy gets written. Oops.

There's a reason for rollback, and for finishing a process. Sometimes
you've got wait; that's the price you pay for db integrity.

--
Mark Stapleton (mark.stapleton AT berbee DOT com)