ADSM-L

Re: Database backup strategy?

2003-03-13 13:45:12
Subject: Re: Database backup strategy?
From: David E Ehresman <deehre01 AT LOUISVILLE DOT EDU>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 13 Mar 2003 13:44:43 -0500
We backup the data base once a day and send it offsite.  We also run the
log in rollforward mode.  This means if we still have the log, we can
restore the data base and recover to the point of failure.  Recovering
without the log would obviously mean we only recovered to the point of
the db backup.  That makes when you run the db backup in relation to
other tasks important.  We run the db backup after doing storage pool
backups of our disk and onsite tape pools to our offsite tape pool.  We
then send the db back and stgpool backups offsite together.

David Ehresman
University of Louisville