ADSM-L

Re: Database backup strategy?

2003-03-13 12:03:38
Subject: Re: Database backup strategy?
From: Sias Dealy <hnre AT UREACH DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 13 Mar 2003 12:01:51 -0500
Zlatko,

Your right that the snapshot does not clear the recovery log.
I miss read the original posting. I thought Matt was doing two
database backup and a snapshot.

I know, read, re-read and re-read. Then reply.

Thanks for keeping me correct. :)
Sias

Get your own "800" number
Voicemail, fax, email, and a lot more
http://www.ureach.com/reg/tag

---- On    , Zlatko Krastev/ACIT (acit AT ATTGLOBAL DOT NET) wrote:

> Sias,
>
> the snapshot *does not* clear the log. It is a snapshot, not
a backup. Its
> goal is to make copy of the DB without touching the
Full+Incremental+Log
> chain.
> Look at the Administrator's Guide:
> "A snapshot database backup is a full database backup that
does not
> interrupt the current full and incremental backup series. "
>
> Zlatko Krastev
> IT Consultant
>

> Sias Dealy <hnre AT UREACH DOT COM>
> 13.03.2003 18:25
> Please respond to hnre
>

>         To:     ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
>         cc:
>         Subject:        Re: Database backup strategy?
>

> Matt,
>
> In my shop, we do full backups of the TSM database. That is
> because the TSM database will fit on one tape. When the TSM
> database span across two tapes, then we will be thinking about
> doing incremental backup of the database. Keep in mind that
you
> can only do so many incremental backup of the database. Once
> you reach that limit, a full backup of the database need to be
> done.
>
> If TSM was doing a full backup twice a day. I would suspect,
> the reason on why two backups are done is to keep the recovery
> log from over committing. That is if TSM is in rollforward
mode.

> Must be nice to have a remote disaster recovery site that is
> less than a 5-minute walk.  ;)
>
> Sias

> Get your own "800" number
> Voicemail, fax, email, and a lot more
> http://www.ureach.com/reg/tag
>

> ---- On    , Matt Simpson (matt AT UKY DOT EDU) wrote:
>
> > I'm curious about the type and frequency of database backups
> that
> > people do.  I've inherited a TSM environment set up by
> sombeody else
> > and I'm trying to make sense out of it.
> >
> > The original setup did two backups every day, a full and a
> snapshot.
> > The full stayed onsite and the snapshot went offsite.  (We
> use DRM,
> > and the MOVE DRM * SOURCE=DBS sent the snapshot offsite and
> left the
> > full alone).  That seemed like overkill, so I changed
> the "onsite"
> > backup to do a full backup on Sunday and an incremental
other
> days.
> > But at two hours for a full backup, and almost as long for
an
> > incremental, I'm wondering if we're still spending more time
> than
> > necessary backing up our database.  Does anybody else see
the
> need
> > for two daily backups?  I think the likeliihood of a
disaster
> > requiring a database restore is so slim that a single
offsite
> copy
> > might be enough, especially since our "offsite vault" is
less
> than a
> > 5-minute walk (which raises another issue, but thats what
> we're
> > living with).
> >
> > Does anybody mess with full/incremental database backups?
Or,