ADSM-L

Re: REPOST: Scratch Vols & Moving Volumes

2003-03-11 08:23:08
Subject: Re: REPOST: Scratch Vols & Moving Volumes
From: Dirk Billerbeck <dirk.billerbeck AT COMPUTACENTER DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 11 Mar 2003 14:22:09 +0100
Hi Justin,

in short:

Yes, you are right. A storage pool always covers only one library and that
has a simple reason (beside the device class bound to a library name):

How could TSM put a volume from the first (physical) library in a drive in
a second (physical) library if this volume is needed by some operation in
this storage pool? The answer is obviously, it wouldn't work without manual
intervention.

Ok, there a physical libraries that can be partioned into multiple virtual
libraries and in that case TSM could theoretically put the volume into the
other drive. But this feature would require some changes to TSM and the
tape library firmware/software and isn't realized right now. Maybe you
should put this as a requirement on the ADSM-R mailing list?

You have to change the device class of the storage pool to the new library
or use the Move Data command.

For a separation of data and copies you should use specific optical
libraries for your copy storage pool(s) only and other libraries just for
the primary storage pools. So you can split the data and its copies between
the libraries automatically.

BTW: Which 3995 models will you use? IMO you shouldn't attach nine 3995
libraries to just one 6H1... (I wonder if it would be possible at all or
supported by IBM with all the SCSI channels you will need). Try to minimize
the number of libraries by choosing the largest model (C68) and use dual
channel SCSI controllers if possible (see the "PCI Adapter Placement
Reference" at
http://www-1.ibm.com/servers/eserver/pseries/library/hardware_docs/sa38/380538.pdf
 for more information about maximum number and position of SCSI adapters in
a 6H1).

Mit freundlichen Grüßen,
Met vriendelijke groeten,
With best regards,
Bien amicalement,

CU/2,
                Dirk Billerbeck

Dirk Billerbeck
CC CompuNet AG & Co. oHG
Enterprise Computing Solutions
Am Jaegersberg 20, 24161 Altenholz (Kiel), Germany
Phone: +49 (0) 431 / 3609 - 117, Fax: +49 (0) 431 / 3609 - 190,
Internet: dirk.billerbeck AT computacenter DOT com

This email is confidential. If you are not the intended recipient,
you must not disclose or use the information contained in it.
If you have received this mail in error, please tell us
immediately by return email and delete the document.

Justin Derrick <jderrick AT CANADA DOT COM>@VM.MARIST.EDU> on 11.03.2003
13:36:31