ADSM-L

Re: Canceling a Reclamation FAST

2003-03-07 16:50:16
Subject: Re: Canceling a Reclamation FAST
From: David Longo <David.Longo AT HEALTH-FIRST DOT ORG>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 7 Mar 2003 16:49:25 -0500
That's correct, changing the threshold does not effect the reclamation
in progress.  However if you left threshold and cancel the process,
it will start up again in a few minutes or less - the threshold is still there.
So, raise the threshold, then cancel the process to be sure tapes and
drives are freed up.

I don't like the idea of powering off a drive either, may be o.k
as an absolute last resort in a dire situation.

I guess what some of us want is in addition to the "cancel" command,
a "kill"  command - like UNIX, for processes and sessions.  I suspect
they haven't implemented this for DB integrity reasons.

David B. Longo
System Administrator
Health First, Inc.
3300 Fiske Blvd.
Rockledge, FL 32955-4305
PH      321.434.5536
Pager  321.634.8230
Fax:    321.434.5509
david.longo AT health-first DOT org

>>> jimtsm AT HOTMAIL DOT COM 03/07/03 03:22PM >>>
Thanks Alex,

Both ideas that I have thought of.  However, I was under the impression that
once the reclamation had started, changing the threshold would not effect
the process already in motion.  As for turning off the drive.  A) I don't
particularly like that as a solution, and B) Our library is in a remote
lights out site.  Getting someone to physically turn it off would probably
take longer than waiting for the process to complete.

Thank you for your suggestions

JT

>From: Alex Paschal <AlexPaschal AT FREIGHTLINER DOT COM>
>To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
>Subject: Re: Canceling a Reclamation FAST
>Date: Fri, 7 Mar 2003 07:49:56 -0800
>
>Make sure your stgpool reclamation level is set high, then issue the cancel
>process.  Then, here's the fun part, go over to your library and turn off
>or
>IPL the INPUT drive.  Your process will fail out with a read error and
>you'll be good to go.
>
>I probably wouldn't do this in production without testing if you're using
>SCSI drives, I don't know how the bus would handle redetecting the drive,
>but it works great in my Fibre Channel environment.  Since I don't know how
>your environment's set up, use at your own risk.
>
>Alex Paschal
>Freightliner, LLC
>(503) 745-6850 phone/vmail

"MMS <health-first.org>" made the following
 annotations on 03/07/2003 04:50:58 PM
This message is for the named person's use only.  It may contain confidential,
proprietary, or legally privileged information.  No confidentiality or
privilege is waived or lost by any mistransmission.  If you receive this
message in error, please immediately delete it and all copies of it from your
system, destroy any hard copies of it, and notify the sender.  You must not,
directly or indirectly, use, disclose, distribute, print, or copy any part of
this message if you are not the intended recipient.  Health First reserves the
right to monitor all e-mail communications through its networks.  Any views or
opinions expressed in this message are solely those of the individual sender,
except (1) where the message states such views or opinions are on behalf of a
particular entity;  and (2) the sender is authorized by the entity to give such
views or opinions.