ADSM-L

Re: Messages and return codes

2003-03-07 14:37:39
Subject: Re: Messages and return codes
From: Andrew Raibeck <storman AT US.IBM DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 7 Mar 2003 12:34:19 -0700
You do not indicate which client version you are running, so it is
difficult to be specific in your case.

If you are running something below 5.1, then the return code should be
deemed undocumented and unpredictable.

If you are running 5.1, then the info on client return codes can be found
in the client manual, chapter 7 "Automating Tasks".

Information on message format and severities is in the Messages manual, in
the introduction chapter. 'ANSnnnnS' messages are considered a severe
error, and will generate an RC 12.

As you'll find in the client manual, the client return codes are tied very
strongly to the message severity. There is nothing in the client that
allows you to configure which messages will generate which return code. If
you think a message is generating the wrong return code, then you should
contact IBM support to see if there is an actual problem in the return
code processing. If you disagree with the severity level of a given
message (and thus the rc it generates), then you should open a requirement
and request the change. We are open to re-evaluating message severities.
For example, prior to 5.1, the message you got when a TCP/IP connection
was severed (but the client was able to re-establish the connection) was
treated as a severity of "error". In 5.1, we reduced it to a "warning"
level message since the client is able to re-establish the connection.

Regards,

Andy

Andy Raibeck
IBM Software Group
Internet e-mail: storman AT us.eyebm DOT com (change eye to i to reply)

The command line is your friend.

David E Ehresman <deehre01 AT LOUISVILLE DOT EDU>
03/07/2003 11:28