ADSM-L

Re: Automatic checkin on a 3584?

2003-03-03 03:46:42
Subject: Re: Automatic checkin on a 3584?
From: GUILLAUMONT Etienne <eguillau AT RGB-TECHNOLOGIE DOT FR>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Mon, 3 Mar 2003 09:45:39 +0100
Hello,

You didn't say in what type of OS you where. If it is unix, no problem, you
just have to add a sleep command. If you have a unix box within you
clients, you can also install dsmadmc on it and make the script on unix
which is far better for shell scripts and automations than windows.
The other way is not to use a timing but to do exactly what you do manually
: check for example the process before continuing.

Etienne GUILLAUMONT
e-mail : etienne AT rgb-technologie DOT fr

RGB Technologie
Parc d'Innovation, Bâtiment PYTHAGORE
11 Rue Jean SAPIDUS
67400 ILLKIRCH
Tél :  03 90 40 60 60
Fax : 03 90 40 60 61

                    Dan Foster

                    <dsf AT GBLX DOT NET        To:     ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT
EDU
                    >                    cc:

                    Sent by:             Subject:     Automatic checkin on a
3584?
                    "ADSM: Dist

                    Stor Manager"

                    <ADSM-L AT VM DOT MA

                    RIST.EDU>

                    03/03/2003

                    09:23

                    Please

                    respond to

                    "ADSM: Dist

                    Stor Manager"

Howdy -

        I seem to be having some sort of timing issues with the checkin
process via an automated script. The procedure:

        1. Fill the I/O station(s) with brought back tapes to be checkin'd
        2. Issue a 'checkin libvol <library> search=bulk status=scratch
                checklabel=barcode'
        3. Wait a bit for a request to appear in the request queue
        4. Issue a reply corresponding to what appears in 'q req'
        5. Wait a bit for the whole checkin process to finish in search
mode
        6. Issue a 'checkin libvol <library> search=bulk status=private
                checklabel=barcode'
        7. Wait a bit for a request to appear in the request queue
        8. Issue a reply corresponding to what appears in 'q req'

        Manually, works great. My script parses all data just fine using
dsmadmc in batch mode (with -id= -pass=...) and the command syntax is
correct -- I know because it works fine by hand.

        I'm a little stuck in getting the exact timing *just right* for the
delays as well as the best way to construct a while loop logic to get the
timing right. It just runs through it so fast that it exits before it's
got a chance to answer both requests. Detecting certain corner cases seems
a little interesting when you throw in vagaries of timing, also.

        Alas, "cheating" by direct loading and using search=yes to avoid
the requests isn't an option for the weekly tape swaps. ;)

        Does anyone happen to have a similiar script fragment or even just
suggestions on how to construct the while loop 'just so'? :) Anything would
be much appreciated! (I'm trying to make the limited human interaction with
tapes reasonably bulletproof without requiring them to manually wade
through TSM - reduces chances of errors and not all personnel are skilled.)

-Dan