ADSM-L

Re: Problem while using "move drmedia"

2003-02-28 12:54:22
Subject: Re: Problem while using "move drmedia"
From: Orville Lantto <orville.lantto AT DATATREND DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 28 Feb 2003 11:47:51 -0600
This may be a manifestation of the following APAR.  This was repaired in
4.2.1.13

<@>
IC33056 TSM 4.2.1 3494 CATEGORIES SCRATCH PRIVATE INSERT

 When multiple TSM V4.2.1 Servers are using the same
 partitioned 3494 Tape Library it is possible for a volume to
 get checked into the wrong server.  As of 4.2.1 and higher the
 TSM server will not check  what category a volume belongs to
 during a "checkin libvol  xxxxxx search=no" command. Therefore
 it is possible for a volume belonging to one TSM server to get
 checked into a different TSM server. The Server will change
 the volume category to reflect the category assigned to that
 particular status for that specific TSM server.  This issue
 will only occur when a manual checkin is done and the
 "search=no" parameter is used.
 This particular issue was found when a customer setup multiple
 instances of the TSM Server on the same Unix machine but can
 also occur when two separate machines are used to access a
 partitioned 3494 Tape Library.
 Output from a PVR trace will show TSM recognizing that the
 volume being checked in has a different category than what
 has been defined for that server instance, for example;362
 TSM changing the tape category to cat=65280 (FF00) (the insert
 category) then changing the category to the appropriate status
 for that server, for example; 372 for a scratch tape.

Orville L. Lantto
Datatrend Technologies, Inc.  (http://www.datatrend.com)
IBM Premier Business Partner
121 Cheshire Lane, Suite 700
Minnetonka, MN 55305
Email: Orville.Lantto AT datatrend DOT com

and privileged information. Any  unauthorized review, use, disclosure or
message.

Tommy Templeton <tommy.templeton AT MMRS.STATE.MS DOT US>
02/27/2003 09:57 AM