ADSM-L

Re: licensing costs

2003-02-24 19:27:42
Subject: Re: licensing costs
From: Patrick Boutilier <boutilpj AT STAFF.EDNET.NS DOT CA>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Mon, 24 Feb 2003 20:26:18 -0400
Coats, Jack wrote:
<snip>

Reciently I heard from my VAR, that TSM NT/2K and Novell clients are all now
priced on a per processor basis.  Where previously on these the client was
for up to 4 processors, and after that you went to a different teir of
pricing.

Now a single processor client cost more than a non-processor specific client
did 6 months ago.

Can anyone explain how having more than one processor in a server has
anything to do with how much it costs to back it up?

<grumble>
As much as I like TSM, IMHO, they need to figure out how they want to price
it, and publish that mechagnism for everyone to understand.  Also, the
current pricing structure is pretty bad.  Everytime I look at getting a few
more clients, it makes me want to re-evaluate using TSM at all from a
financial perspective.
</grumble>