ADSM-L

Re: licensing costs

2003-02-24 18:06:51
Subject: Re: licensing costs
From: "Coats, Jack" <Jack.Coats AT BANKSTERLING DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Mon, 24 Feb 2003 16:16:14 -0600
I find that even when I ask a 'simple' licensing question if nt VAR (i.e.
what is the cost of a NT client license), they are told they must go back to
TSM to ensure the configuration for a client license (also delaying any
quote I want from 24 to 72 hours ro so). ... So currently, the answer is
'NO' as far as I can tell.

I used to have a spread sheet from TSM so when I worked for a TSM VAR, we
could do configuration and quoting.  You put in the kind of server, options,
clients, etc, and it added up the points. ... Depending on the negotiated
cost of points, was the cost.

Reciently I heard from my VAR, that TSM NT/2K and Novell clients are all now
priced on a per processor basis.  Where previously on these the client was
for up to 4 processors, and after that you went to a different teir of
pricing.

Now a single processor client cost more than a non-processor specific client
did 6 months ago.

<grumble>
As much as I like TSM, IMHO, they need to figure out how they want to price
it, and publish that mechagnism for everyone to understand.  Also, the
current pricing structure is pretty bad.  Everytime I look at getting a few
more clients, it makes me want to re-evaluate using TSM at all from a
financial perspective.
</grumble>