ADSM-L

Re: auditdb: how to estimate number of records?

2003-02-22 09:26:43
Subject: Re: auditdb: how to estimate number of records?
From: Zlatko Krastev/ACIT <acit AT ATTGLOBAL DOT NET>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Sat, 22 Feb 2003 16:25:39 +0200
Carsten, Paul,

the three biggest contributors to TSM's DB size are tables BACKUPS,
ARCHIVES and CONTENTS. First two show what was backed up/archived and the
third show where the objects are stored. Everything hitting the TSM server
is either a backup or an archive or a space-managed file. Usually the
latter are small volume.
A backed up file gets a record in BACKUPS table plus one or more records
in CONTENTS table (one primary plus zero or more copypool entries). Same
for archives. Thus the number of files is contributing more than 99% of DB
size.
For the first server reported by Carsten 250M - 2x 94M ~= 62M (nearly all
copypool contents). For the second: 165M - 2x 54M ~= 57M (copypool
contents plus the rest). The analysis results: second server is having
(nearly) everything copied in copypools while the first one is lacking
redundant copies for about 1/3 of the data.

And the answer to the initial question is: sum of # of records in backups,
archives, contents + some overhead for all the rest.

Zlatko Krastev
IT Consultant

Carsten Moldrup <cmoldrup AT CSC DOT COM>
14.02.2003 16:05