ADSM-L

Anyone doing 1TB+ Backup Nightly

2003-02-21 09:34:24
Subject: Anyone doing 1TB+ Backup Nightly
From: "Dearman, Richard" <rdearm1 AT UIC DOT EDU>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 21 Feb 2003 08:34:13 -0600
I do 1TB+ backups nightly which run for about 8 hours.  A large part of our
backup is a 500GB Oracle database backup to TSM.  The database backups up
over a private 1Gb connection to a AIX P660-6h1 server with 2GB of RAM and 4
processors.   The data then goes to nine 2disk stripe sets, over a 1Gb SAN
connection (I went with stripe sets because RAID5 was just to slow).  I'm
getting high iowat times on my AIX TSM server.  I'm having a hard time
pinpointing exactly where the bottleneck is at.  Currently it takes 51/2
hours to backup 500GB but I know it can be better.

My question is are any of you that are moving this amount of data faster
than me using a more powerful server like a IBM 690.

THanks
email and any files transmitted with it may be confidential and are intended
solely for the use of th individual or entity to whom they are addressed.
If you are not the intended recipient or the individual responsible for
delivering the e-mail to the intended recipient, any disclosure, copying,
distribution or any action taken or omitted to be taken in reliance on it,
is strictly prohibited.  If you have received this e-mail in error, please
delete it and notify the sender or contact Health Information Management
312.996.3941.