ADSM-L

Re: Stop Bagging TSM Developers.

2003-02-19 13:46:27
Subject: Re: Stop Bagging TSM Developers.
From: "Prather, Wanda" <Wanda.Prather AT JHUAPL DOT EDU>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 19 Feb 2003 13:44:24 -0500
I agree.  The developers do their best and then some.  All the ones I have
talked with are really committed to making this the best product they can.
They take a lot of pride and interest in the product, which you can tell
because they are not REQUIRED to participate in this list; they do it
because they care.

That said, it is pretty clear that the management doesn't provide them the
time and/or resources needed to do sufficient quality testing.

We are still sitting at 4.2.1.15 on our servers, and 4.2.0.0 or 4.2.1.20 for
our 400+ WIN2K clients.  We will probably continue to sit on this version of
client & server even after the April deadline, because the largest server is
running at max capacity and I can't tolerate the problems with Expiration
and WIn2K system object issues and continue to run.

Unfortunately I can no longer defend this product to the local management,
because we have to dedicate so many people resources to it.  Testing for the
clients takes way too much time because we have to prove we can do a
complete restore down to the last icon on the desktop.  And as I said, we
can't upgrade the server because of the known problems.

Sooner or later that message has to get to IBM/Tivoli management.
Unfortunately it looks like they have to start losing customers before they
get it.

My opinion, and nobody else's...
Wanda Prather