ADSM-L

Tape Reliability Recommendations

2003-02-13 17:26:28
Subject: Tape Reliability Recommendations
From: Colby Morgan <cmorgan AT DATA-TRONICS DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 13 Feb 2003 16:23:42 -0600
We are currently running TSM 5.1.5 on Win2k with an IBM Mammoth-2 drive for
offsite copypools.  We have had problems with both our onsite M2 and offsite
M2 drives at our disaster recovery center.  IBM has replaced the drive more
than a dozen times in the last two years and Exabyte has replaced countless
tapes.  Most recently we are experiencing a high rate of media write
failures on a newly replaced drive as well as media read failures in DR
testing, both using brand new 225m AME media.

Is anybody else out their running an IBM/Exabyte Mammoth-2 drive and if so
what kind of results do you see?

My real question is what is the most common/reliable removable tape
technologies for the Intel TSM environment?  We are considering switching
technologies and I wanted to solicit testimonies on other technologies (DLT,
LTO, SDLT,etc...).

We currently copy around 135GB to 300GB offsite daily.

Thanks,

Colby