ADSM-L

A query about NDMP support

2003-02-13 16:39:43
Subject: A query about NDMP support
From: "Jelinek, David G." <David.Jelinek AT CMICH DOT EDU>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 13 Feb 2003 16:38:11 -0500
I would like to ask for some expert opinions from this group. We use
MiraPoint's e-mail appliance for our student e-mail. We would like to back it
up using ITSM. MiraPoint has said that it intends to qualify with TSM. They
want us to push IBM/Tivoli for 3-way NDMP support in TSM. I have no idea if
that's a good thing or not. The reason they said they want us to push for it is
given in this snippet from a discussion list, but it makes no sense to me at
all:

>I'd again like to stress the strong suggestion that we get the
>customers to press hard for IBM/Tivoli to support 3-way NDMP for TSM.
>
>This is undoubtedly the preferred method - for both customers and Mirapoint.
>The alternative, which would be very difficult for both Mirapoint and the
>customers, would be to use a direct connection to the Mirapoint.  This
>method would require us to also qualify the tape device which is directly
>connected . . . that will add much time, cost and complexity!!!!
>
>Please, lets make certain that we get all of these TSM requests to be echoed
>back to IBM/Tivoli!!!  We need 3-way NDMP support in TSM.

So is 3-way NDMP a good thing to push for? Do their reason(s) make any sense,
and are they valid? Or do they not understand TSM and NDMP?

Thanks in advance for your opinions and advice.

David Jelinek