ADSM-L

Re: System Objects and Cleanup Backupgroups

2003-02-13 11:48:38
Subject: Re: System Objects and Cleanup Backupgroups
From: Thomas Denier <Thomas.Denier AT MAIL.TJU DOT EDU>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 13 Feb 2003 11:45:25 -0500
> Can I delete the SYSTEM OBJECT filespaces
> all together and gamble that I won't have to restore the
> registry that day?  Will deleting the "good" system
> objects help with the orphans?

There is a less draconian version of this strategy that some
sites have used successfully. Execute 'rename filespace' commands
for the system objects. Subsequent backups will create new
system object file spaces without the pathalogical behavior.
After a few days the renamed filespaces can be deleted. If
you needed to restore from a renamed filespace you could change
it back to its original name. Even 'delete filespace' commands
for the number of objects you mention are going to be a major
undertaking. It may take you as much as several months to get
rid of all the files. Be careful about running too many 'delete
filespace' commands concurrently. I have never had occasion to
delete a system object filespace, but my experience with other
types of filespaces has been that anything beyond two concurrent
'delete filespace' processes is counterproductive.