ADSM-L

Re: Exchange Restore/Expiration Question

2003-02-13 08:42:02
Subject: Re: Exchange Restore/Expiration Question
From: Del Hoobler <hoobler AT US.IBM DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 13 Feb 2003 08:38:34 -0500
Bruce,

When doing a full backup, Data Protection for Exchange will "inactivate"
any previous incrementals that exist.
I would guess that your policy settings are set up in such a way that
those incrementals are still being retained.
>From the policy section in the User's Guide:
-----
Incremental backups are always uniquely named. As a result, incremental
backups do not participate in expirations (due to version limit) because
there is
never more than one version of an incremental backup object. However, all
backup objects for an Exchange Server storage group are inactivated when a
new full backup of that Exchange Server storage group is performed.
Therefore,
the retention period set in the Retain Only Version parameter controls the
expiration of incremental backup objects.

Take a look at your policy settings.
I hope this helps.

Thanks,

Del

Del Hoobler
IBM Corporation
hoobler AT us.ibm DOT com

- Remember that the best job security is
doing a job well and doing it cheerfully.