ADSM-L

Re: archive failure

2003-02-12 10:35:33
Subject: Re: archive failure
From: "Stapleton, Mark" <stapleto AT BERBEE DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 12 Feb 2003 08:09:29 -0600
From: Gill, Geoffrey L. [mailto:GEOFFREY.L.GILL AT SAIC DOT COM]
Someone here has gone off and created their own cmd file that TSM
launches to do an archive. I can't seem to find anything in the help
file on these variables. Maybe someone more familiar with variables can
please tell me if this will work. From what I can tell looking at the
return codes it looks like it is saying it found nothing to backup and
reports a failure.

I'm told if they run this cmd file manually from the server it works.
Why then would TSM have a problem with it when all it's doing is calling
the same file?
****************

Remember, folks, that when you can successfully run a Windows-based
backup manually, but the scheduled backup fails, it is *always* a
Windows-based permissions problem. The manual backup is likely being
done by someone who is logged in as an administrator-level person, and
the scheduler service is likely being run by the (non-interactive)
System ID.

A good beer says that the files that you are attempting to backup cannot
be accessed by whatever ID is running the scheduler service. There are
very few good reasons why anyone should take System's privileges away
from files; there are no security issues here.