ADSM-L

Avoiding holding a tape during a DB2 Redirected restore

2003-02-12 03:02:16
Subject: Avoiding holding a tape during a DB2 Redirected restore
From: Steve Harris <Steve_Harris AT HEALTH.QLD.GOV DOT AU>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 12 Feb 2003 16:36:40 +1000
Hi Group.

I have a 300GB DB2 (SAP) database that I am trying to move from one site to
another using a DB2 redirected restore via TSM.  The new site is tape
constrained until we can move the drives from the old to the new sites, but we
are in testing phase at the moment.

When the restore runs, TSM mounts a tape, restores a small amount of data and
then sits there for a couple of hours  while DB2 formats its containers.  Once
these are formatted the restore proceeds correctly.

Is there any way to pre-format the containers so that the tape mount is not
held unnecessarily, or alternatively to get TSM to let go of the drive until it
is actually needed once again?

Thanks

Steve Harris
AIX and TSM Admin
Queensland Health, Brisbane Australia

This e-mail, including any attachments sent with it, is confidential
and for the sole use of the intended recipient(s). This confidentiality
is not waived or lost if you receive it and you are not the intended
recipient(s), or if it is transmitted/ received in error.

Any unauthorised use, alteration, disclosure, distribution or review
of this e-mail is prohibited.  It may be subject to a statutory duty of
confidentiality if it relates to health service matters.

If you are not the intended recipient(s), or if you have received this
e-mail in error, you are asked to immediately notify the sender by
telephone or by return e-mail.  You should also delete this e-mail
message and destroy any hard copies produced.