ADSM-L

Re: Future of mainframe TSM

2003-02-10 06:15:35
Subject: Re: Future of mainframe TSM
From: "Kraan, Helge van de" <Helge.vandeKraan AT VOLKSWAGEN DOT DE>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Mon, 10 Feb 2003 11:36:31 +0100
Hi Thomas,

in time we have 7 TSM Servers (4.2.3.0) at z/OS 1.2.
We backup 2800 clients (SAP-machines,Oracle,Exchange, ...)
every night and get 6 TB each night. The problem we have in time are the
software licensing by IBM (for DB2/IMS,CICS) and the thirdparty software,
because
our TSM servers are running at the same lpar systems. So we must pay for the
TSM-MIPS
by DB/2 IMS CICS ... software. So it is perhaps better to install a own
mainframe for TSM !?

Helge van de Kraan
IS-Rechnersysteme

Volkswagen AG
Brieffach 1883
38436 Wolfsburg

Telefon +49 (5361)9-73711
Telefax +49 (5361)9-29289
http://www.volkswagen.de

Hello, Thomas.

We run a 4.2.3.2 TSM under OS/390 2.10, also.  We run it on a tiny little
7060-H50 (Multiprise 3000) and have an approximately 110mb/sec network
connection (that's a bandwidth measurement - not a theoretical number).
Furthermore, we run our OS/390 in a V=R virtual machine under z/VM, with
768MB of "central" storage dedicated to it and 192MB of expanded.  We also
run several Oracle address spaces and not much else.  We have 12 3590's
(E1A) in a 3994 ATL, a 42 GB database, about 300 GB of disk storage pools,
and manage a total (primary and offsite copy stgpools) of about 20 terabytes
of data, consisting of 79+ million files/copies.

We are at our limit on the traffic during the evening hours, at this point.
We are able to backup about 150 nodes and I'm not sure about the evening
data volume by itself, but on daily basis, for all 24 hours, we backup
anywhere from 250 to 350 GB.  Most of it must be during the evening, because
the only nodes we backup during the day are workstations, and our servers
contain more data volume than our workstations.

If you can get away from MVS (OS/390, z/OS) you'll probably save GOBs on the
software licensing - IBM really does make you pay "big time" for MVS
licensing (for the OS - not necessarily TSM).  It seems like they're trying
to eliminate the platform, doesn't it?  However, I believe in the platform,
because of its absolutely rock-solid qualities.  I guess we pay for what we
get - it's still too steep to justify, in my mind, and certainly not
justifiable to most upper-level management.

Anyway, please feel free to call off-line to get any details you may wish...

By the way, I'll bet your workload quadruples, or more, over the next year!

Regards,
Mark Darby
U. S. DOE
Germantown, MD