ADSM-L

Re: export/import via virtual vols help

2003-02-07 17:08:30
Subject: Re: export/import via virtual vols help
From: "Prather, Wanda" <Wanda.Prather AT JHUAPL DOT EDU>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 7 Feb 2003 17:07:51 -0500
Been there, just done this.

First all, if you are at 5.1.5, I was told by someone that you could export
DIRECTLY to another server, without having to do the bogus export-
then-import thing.  I would look into that, as it should be easier to
implement than what you are doing.

Second, I have had little success in the past using export/import where the
target server was at a lower version than the source server (kinda makes
sense, since the data base can change from one version to the next), so I
don't think this is guaranteed to work.

That being said, if you did the setup using the admin guide, there is a step
missing.  The ONLY place I have found this documented is in the OLD ADSM
server-to-server implementation redbook (and it's kinda easy to miss there,
too), and I never would have figured it out except by searching the ADSM-L
archives (THANK YOU DWIGHT!).

On the sourceserver you must do: DEFINE SERVER targetserver
But on the target server you must ALSO do:  DEFINE SERVER targetserver

-- so you define the target server back to itself.
If you don't do this the export will work, but the import will not.

Here is a copy of the pertinent pieces from my devconfig, if that will help:

I was going from an AIX server to a Windows server.

Server to Server DEVCONFIG parms for SOURCE SERVER :

/* Device Configuration on AIX:  */

SET SERVERNAME AIXADSM

DEFINE SERVER TSM_WIN COMMMETHOD=TCPIP HLADDRESS=nnn.nnn.nnn.nn
LLADDRESS=1500  NODENAME=H801SRVR PASSWORD=zzzzzz DELGRACEPERIOD=0

DEFINE DEVCLASS OVERTHERE DEVTYPE=SERVER MAXCAPACITY=41943040K MOUNTLIMIT=3
MOUNTRETENTION=4 PREFIX=ADSM SERVERNAME=TSM_WIN RETRYPERIOD=6
RETRYINTERVAL=3

Server-to-Server DEVCONFIG parms for TARGET SERVER:

/* Device Configuration on Windows:   */

SET SERVERNAME TSM_WIN

DEFINE DEVCLASS OVERHERE DEVTYPE=SERVER MAXCAPACITY=41943040K MOUNTLIMIT=8
MOUNTRETENTION=0 PREFIX=ADSM SERVERNAME=TSM_WIN RETRYPERIOD=10
RETRYINTERVAL=30

DEFINE SERVER TSM_WIN COMMMETHOD=TCPIP HLADDRESS=newhost LLADDRESS=1500
NODENAME=H801SRVR PASSWORD=zzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Also needed on target server:

DEFINE NODE H801srvr pwd   TYPE=SERVER MAXNUMMP=3 DOMAIN=PDOM_OTHERSRVR

Using the above definitions:

EXPORT:
export node xxxxx filedata=all devclass=overthere

IMPORT:
import node * filedata=all devclass=overhere vol=TSM_WIN.EXP.nnnnnnnnnnnnn

Wanda Prather
The Johns Hopkins Applied Physics Lab
443-778-8769
wanda_prather AT jhuapl DOT edu

"Intelligence has much less practical application than you'd think" -
Scott Adams/Dilbert