ADSM-L

Re: TSM for Oracle

2003-02-07 06:45:29
Subject: Re: TSM for Oracle
From: Paul Ripke <stixpjr AT BIGPOND.NET DOT AU>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 7 Feb 2003 22:44:13 +1100
On Friday, Feb 7, 2003, at 20:37 Australia/Sydney, Rodney clark wrote:

Agreed, but it's a bit silly to backup 200 gbyte of historical database
every day. When a incremental backup in RMAN might send 10 Mbyte per
day.
Extreme example yes, But I think RMAN is really worth the effort.

So why not just backup the archive logs every other day as an
incremental?
The way we do it is to use "dsmc arch" to archive the database once a
week,
and just do the archive logs every day. Then, restores are just
point-in-time Oracle recoveries. Maybe not good for a database with a
high
change rate, but good for historical databases.

Cheers,
--
Paul Ripke
Unix/OpenVMS/DBA