ADSM-L

Re: upgrade to TSM 5.1 from TSM 4.1

2003-02-04 21:25:11
Subject: Re: upgrade to TSM 5.1 from TSM 4.1
From: "Rivera, Jose Spri" <jose.spri.rivera AT SPCORP DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 4 Feb 2003 21:24:53 -0500
I hope u don't mind that this isnt exactly what u axed for
Upgrade was pretty smooth going from 4.2.1.x to 5.1 and then to 5.1.5 on Aix
4.3.3 ML10.
Database was at the time approx 30GB took about 1/2 hour. Db is on high
speed san disk. Then I attempted upgrading Aix to 5.1ML03. This is where I
ran into some interesting but known and unknown issues. For ex opsys devices
were all renamed. What could have drivn me nuts is that the san disks were
also renamed- had that pegged tho. All tsm devices need to be redefined not
too bad -I keep about 6 months of drm_plans that have all my defs.

I am a glutton for punishment and also decided to  upgrade to all latest
microcode on my H80, installed latest tape drivers, firmware on switches and
disk controllers in san etc etc

During the upgrade migration of the operating system to 5.1 I decided to
turn on 64 bit and upgraded the TSM s/w to 64 bit.  This is where I ran into
some real problems. My loss2k  backups werent completing at all. After about
3 days of this I decided to drop the opsys back down to 32 bit and continued
running TSM at 64 bit.  I just recvd  a ptf U483674 that allegedly addresses
this problem and I have it on my second tsm server that I am activating In a
couple weeks.

If it werent for the NT issue all in all pretty smooth - time consuming tho
- spent about 2 1/2 days doing all of this-

Expiration processing took forever so I upgraded tsm to 5.1.5.4 didn't take
very long -will take to 5.1.6.1 soon

B4 doing this backup everything - and backup the operating system after
every stage-u might need it

Jose Rivera
Ris Infrastructure