ADSM-L

Monthly TSM FAQ February 2003

2003-01-31 16:26:02
Subject: Monthly TSM FAQ February 2003
From: "Stapleton, Mark" <stapleto AT BERBEE DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 31 Jan 2003 15:25:14 -0600
This Frequently Asked Question list for the ADSM-L mailing list is
posted on the first day of each month. It was created to cut down on the
number of questions that are repeated regularly in the ADSM-L mailing
list from vm.marist.edu. I would be grateful for any requests to include
additional material. (Please send them directly to me, rather than to
the list.)

updated 01/30/2003====================================================

* Questions marked with * are new or improved since the last posting.

QUESTIONS

01.   About the list itself
01-01.  How do I subscribe to ADSM-L?
01-02.  How do I unsubscribe to ADSM-L?
01-03.  Why don't I see the questions I post to ADSM-L?
01-04.  How can I see the questions I post to ADSM-L?
01-05.  Who decides what questions go on ADSM-L?
01-06.  Is there a digest or archive of ADSM-L?
01-07.  How do I get more information about ADSM-L?
01-08.  Does IBM/Tivoli participate in ADSM-L?

02.   Types of questions asked
02-01.  What subjects are covered in this list?
02-02.  What kinds of questions can be asked?
02-03.  What kinds of questions can I expect answers to?
02-04.  What levels of netiquette are expected?
02-05.  What's the first thing to do when I have a question about TSM?
02-06.  What's the second thing to do when I have a question about TSM?
02-07.  What's the third thing to do when I still have a question about
TSM?
02-08.  What's the fourth thing to do when I STILL have a question about

          TSM?
02-09.  What's the fifth thing to do when I *STILL* have a question
about
          TSM?
02-10.  What's the last thing to do when I *STILL* have a question about

          TSM?
02-11.  What are those "out of office" messages I keep seeing in the
list?
02-12.  What's the single best thing I can do to improve the list?
02-13.  Why don't I get answers to my "I need comparisons between TSM
and
          <brandX> backup software" questions?
02-14.  What kinds of things shouldn't I post on ADSM-L?
02-15.  Is there some sort of acronym list?
02-16.  Whatever happened to Richard Sims?

03.   Available TSM resources
03-01.  What FAQs are already out there?
03-02.  What other sources of help can I find?
03-03.  How do I get "official" TSM support?

04.   Frequently-asked questions on ADSM-L
04-01.  Is it called ADSM, or TSM, or ITSM? What's the deal here?
04-02.  What are backupsets? How can I use them?
04-03.  How does TSM do full/incremental/differential backups, just like
          my old backup software <fillintheblank> used to?
04-04.  How do I unsubscribe to ADSM-L?
04-05.  How do I do mailbox-level restores of Exchange using the Tivoli
Data
          Protection Agent for Exchange?
04-06.  How do I force TSM to do a full backup of a client?
04-07.  Where can I download the latest version of TSM/TDP?
04-08.  What's the very first thing I do after TSM is delivered to me?
04-09.  I'm getting message ANRXXXXX from the TSM server. What does it
mean?
04-10.  I'm getting message ANSXXXXX from the TSM client. What does it
mean?
04-11.  My large-scale restores are slow. How can I speed them up?
04-12.  How do I back up normally open files, like database files?
04-13.  What's all this about TSM and SQL select statements?
04-14.  My boss wants disaster recovery procedures. What's the best way
          to do it?
04-15.  How do I get TSM to report problems to me?
04-16.  Why does version X of TSM have this bad bug in it?
04-17.  How come my copy pool tape reclamation runs so slowly?
04-18.  I keep getting these "server out of license compliance"
messages. Why?
04-19.  My scheduled backups fail (or are incomplete), but my manual
ones
          work fine. Why?
04-20.  While backleveling my TSM client from 4.2.1 to 4.1.3, I get a
          "downlevel" message. Why?
04-21.  Why do I get an "ANR1440I All drives in use. Process being
preempted
          by higher priority operation" message when my storage pool
backup
          fails?
04-22.  I've deleted all data from a tape volume, but it hasn't come
back as
          a scratch tape. Why?
04-23.  What is this ANR9999D error message. I don't understand it.
04-24.  I'm upgrading my TSM server/client from version X.X to version
Y.Y.
          Any pitfalls?
04-25.  How do I restore one client's data onto another client?
04-26. *Will my new tape library work with TSM?
04-27.  My Windows client backs up the same 3,000 files or so everyday.
Why?
04-28.  I'm moving TSM to a new physical server. What's the best way
          to do that?
04-29.  How do I back up my NetWare NDS license files?
04-30.  What's all this fuss about "cleanup backupgroups"?
04-31.  I'm trying to include some files for backups, but it's not
          working. Why?
ANSWERS

01-01.  How do I subscribe to ADSM-L?
Send an email to LISTSERV AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU with a blank subject line and a
message consisting only of the line SUBSCRIBE ADSM-L.

01-02.  How do I unsubscribe to ADSM-L?
Send an email to LISTSERV AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU with a blank subject line and a
message consisting only of the line UNSUBSCRIBE ADSM-L. Do NOT try to
unsubscribe by sending email to ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU. All that does is
annoy the list members, and it doesn't get you unsubscribed.

01-03.  Why don't I see the questions I post to ADSM-L?
That's the normal behavior of ADSM-L.

01-04.  How can I see the questions I post to ADSM-L?
If you want to see your own questions, send an email to
LISTSERV AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU with a blank subject line and a message that
consists only of the line SET ADSM-L REPRO.

01-05.  Who decides what questions go on ADSM-L?
The list members. There appears to be no active moderation of the list.
(No, that's not a license to abuse the list. Complaints from the list
members do get listened to by the list administrator.)

01-06.  Is there a digest or archive of ADSM-L?
Indeed. There is an indexed version of the mailing list at
http://adsm.org. (Interestingly enough, the adsm.org domain is owned by
the same people who own tucows.com, and they've given it a real facelift
lately.)

01-07.  How do I get more information about ADSM-L?
Send an email to LISTSERV AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU with a blank subject line and a
message consisting only of the line INFO. This will cause an email to be
returned to you with a list of documents available about VM.MARIST.INFO
and instructions on how to get them.

01-08.  Does IBM/Tivoli participate in or post to ADSM-L?
>From Andy Raibeck, from the TSM client development group: "This list
server is owned and operated by Marist College, and is not in any way
affiliated with IBM. While some IBMers do participate on ADSM-L, they do
so on an unofficial, voluntary basis, and thus are not *required* to
answer your questions. If you require an answer from IBM, or if your
situation is of an urgent nature, then you should (also) go through
IBM's official support channels for assistance."

02-01.  What subjects are covered in this list?
Officially, only questions concerning the installation, configuration,
care, and feeding of ADSM/TSM/ITSM should appear. However, since backup
and recovery systems cover a wide range of IT and business issues, there
have been discussions about disaster recovery, tape and other storage
systems, and other Tivoli products (such as Storage Network Management
and Decision Support). Keep it centered around TSM, and no one fusses
much.

02-02.  What kinds of questions can be asked?
You can ask pretty much any TSM-related question you care to. There's no
guarantee you'll get an answer, though. Reposting an already-asked
question (because of initial lack of response) will sometimes get you an
answer, but often it'll get you nothing.

02-03.  What kinds of questions can I expect answers to?
As with any other mailing list, the questions that lend themselves to
short, concise answers are the ones most likely to get answered. As an
example, you're much more likely to get an answer to "Does my new tape
library, model ZYX-666 made by Spelvin Corporation, work with TSM
version 4.2?" than "I just got TSM. How do I use it?" Keep your
questions focused and narrow in scope. See answers to questions 02-05,
02-06, and 02-07.

02-04.  What levels of netiquette are expected?
The standard civility is expected. If you're unsure of netiquette rules,
go to http://www.albion.com/netiquette/corerules.html and
http://www.fau.edu/netiquette/net/index.html.

02-05.  What's the first thing to do when I have a question about TSM?
Read this FAQ, particular section 4.

02-06.  What's the second thing to do when I have a question about TSM?
The second thing to do is to go to Richard Sims' exhaustive TSM FAQ at
http://people.bu.edu/rbs/ADSM.QuickFacts. More about online FAQs in
answer 03-01.

02-07.  What's the third thing to do when I still have a question about
TSM?
The third thing to do is to look for similar questions in the ADSM-L
archives found at http://adsm.org. Chances are that your question has
been asked before by someone else. Using the proper keywords to find
relevant responses is a bit of an art, but it is a rich source of
information.

02-08   What's the fourth thing to do when I STILL have a question about

          TSM?
[Thanks to Taz for this one.]
Check the Knowledge Base. If you haven't registered before, go to:
http://www-120.ibm.com/software/support/ecare/login?action=register
You can then log into the knowledge base at:
http://www-3.ibm.com/software/sysmgmt/products/support/IBMTivoliStorageM
anager.html

02-09.  What's the fifth thing to do when I STILL have a question about
          TSM?
Research the Administrator's Guide, the Administrator's Reference, the
client guides, or the relevant IBM Redbooks. Yeah, I know, it's not easy
reading. Search the .PDF version of the relevant manual (see answer
03-02 for the download locations); the answer's probably in there
somewhere.

(last one, I *really really* promise)
02-10.  What's the last thing to do when I *STILL* have a question about

          TSM?
Post it to the list, and always include all key information.
Such information should always include server level (found in the top
banner of the login administrative web page), client level (from the
Help-->About TSM splash screen in the client GUI), TSM server OS and OS
level (include service pack/maintenance level data), an *exact*
description of the problem, an extract of the server activity log, and
the error messages verbatim. Please cut and paste text from messages;
this makes typos much less likely. Confusion reigns when you commit a
typo in your question; you'll get a flood of "you've misspelled your
command" answers, which is probably not what you're looking for.

02-11.  What are those "out of office" messages I keep seeing in the
list?
Some email clients have a clever little feature that can be set to tell
those who send email to a recipient that the recipient will be out (and
will thus not be immediately responsive). Unfortunately, some people
don't know how to configure these clients not to send such messages to
mailing lists. What is most annoying about these messages is that they
can appear in multiple languages, which makes filtering them out a
frustrating task.

02-12.  What's the single best thing everyone can do to improve the
list?
Trim your replies! Trim back what you quote from the previous poster to
the essential information only. Get rid of the greetings, the .sigs, and
the chatty stuff. (This measure alone could cut half the length of a
download.)

02-13.  Why don't I get answers to my "I need comparisons between TSM
and
          <brandX> backup software" questions?
While there are occasional responses to these questions, they are
ignored for the most part. The ADSM-L list concerns itself with TSM
only. Most of the list members don't know <brandX> well enough to do
good comparisons; a lot of us don't care. There is one clue, however, to
what backup application to use: we see *lots* of sites/customers moving
from <brandX> to TSM; we see very few of them moving in the other
direction.

02-14.  What kinds of things shouldn't I post on ADSM-L?
a. Questions about subjects other than TSM or TSM-related issues. There
are lots of mailing lists out there; start looking for the one you need
at http://www.lsoft.com/catalist.html.
b. Advertisements. (Testimonials are okay as long as they're
disinterested testimonials. IOW, if you are the chief architect for
spammo.com, don't sing the praises of Spammo.) Let your product speak
for itself.
c. "Send it to me, too!" responses. (There should be a special level of
Hell for people who do this.) For pity's sake, if you want something
from someone, email them directly. Those who post "me, too!"s to this
list--and there were a bunch of you who did this in September 2002--the
original poster even *asked* you to email him directly. Please review
the answer 02-04 above.

02-15.  Is there some sort of acronym list?
        ADSM = Adstar Distributed Storage Manager
        DR   = disaster recovery
        ITSM = IBM/Tivoli Storage Manager
        TDP  = Tivoli Data Protection
        TSM  = Tivoli Storage Manager

02-16.  Whatever happened to Richard Sims?
Richard is back! The gods of ADSM-L have smiled upon him again.

03-01.  What FAQs are already out there?
There are a few (including this one), but the brightest star in the
firmament is Richard Sims' page at
http://people.bu.edu/rbs/ADSM.QuickFacts. It is organized by keyword, it
is *exhaustive*, and it is updated frequently.

03-02. *What other sources of help can I find?
There are several sources of valuable help for TSM problems.
1) The ADSM-L mailing list is a good resource; however, like most
mailing lists, you must separate the answers from those who know from
the answers of those who don't. The best way to do that is to read it
frequently; you'll soon learn who hits the nail with the hammer most
often.
2) The same caution extends the ADSM-L online archive at
http://search.adsm.org. This archive is indexed and searchable, although
personal experience shows that the search function could use some work.
3) Tivoli maintains extensive official documentation on all TSM
products. You can find Tivoli documents, in PDF and HTML format, at
http://www.tivoli.com/support/public/Prodman/public_manuals/td/TD_PROD_L
IST.html.
4) If it's a server command you're having problems with, run the command
with the word "help" (without the quotes) in front of it (such as HELP
UPDATE STGPOOL) at the administrative command-line. TSM will echo back a
help file with syntax, flag definitions, examples, and similar command
lists. Neat!
5) Tivoli technical support, although not as fast to respond as in past
times, is still one of the best technical support lines in the market
today. The telephone number is 800.848.6548. You will need your Tivoli
customer number, which you should have gotten when you purchased TSM,
and the name of the 'official' contact person designated when the order
for TSM was placed; without both, they will not be able to help you.
6) Check the Knowledge Base. If you haven't registered before, go to:
http://www-120.ibm.com/software/support/ecare/login?action=register
You can then log into the knowledge base at:
http://www-3.ibm.com/software/sysmgmt/products/support/IBMTivoliStorageM
anager.html
7) IBM maintains a documentation system they call Redbooks. Redbooks are
rather like O'Reilly Publishing's "missing manuals"; they contain
information that doesn't make it into the standard software manuals.
There is a lot of good TSM information in some of them. You can find
redbooks in .PDF format at http://redbooks.ibm.com. WARNING: Redbook
information is not "official" IBM documentation, and official support is
not predicated upon them.

03-03.  How do I get "official" TSM support?
As I understand it, those who buy TSM receive support from Tivoli for
one year from date of purchase. After that, support must be purchased.
Contact your Tivoli reseller for details.

04-01.  Is it called ADSM, or TSM, or ITSM? What's the deal here?
The backup and restore software package we refer to today as Tivoli
Storage Manager was owned by IBM and known as Adstar Distributed Storage
Manager (ADSM). Later, Tivoli took ownership and changed the name to
Tivoli Storage Manager. The current official name of the software is
IBM/Tivoli Storage Manager (ITSM).

04-02.  What are backupsets? How can I use them?
Backupsets are created from the latest (active) version of each file on
a client's system. These files are copied from data already stored in
TSM storage (disk, tape, or other media) to a single "file". Thus it is
not necessary to do an extra backup across your network to create a
backupset. Backupsets cannot be browsed like backups and archives; you
can, however, use wildcards to restore files. You can look at the
contents of a backupset, provided you know the backupset's name, from Q
BACKUPSETCONTENTS.

04-03.  How does TSM do full/incremental/differential backups, just like
          my old backup software <brandX> used to?
You're not using your old backup software anymore.
TSM uses a backup/restore philosophy unlike any other backup software.
Once the initial full backup of a client is finished, TSM then only
backs up files that are new or have been modified. This sort of backup
used to be called "incrementals forever", but is more accurately
described as "progressive backups". There is not a way to perform
differentials; you don't need them anymore, anyway.

04-04.  How do I unsubscribe to ADSM-L?
(This question is answered twice in this FAQ because it needs to be.)
Send an email to LISTSERV AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU with a blank subject line and a
message consisting only of the line UNSUBSCRIBE ADSM-L. Do NOT try to
unsubscribe by sending email to ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU. All that does is
annoy the list members, and it doesn't get you off the list.

04-05. *How can I do mailbox-level restores of Exchange using the Tivoli
Data
          Protection Agent for Exchange?
You can't, directly, but here's the scoop. You run an application called
exmerge (which comes with Exchange). Exmerge allows the Exchange
administrator to create individual mailboxes from the Exchange
information store. These individual .pst files can then be backed up
(and restored) with a regular TSM backup client.
This system of backing up individual mailboxes requires two separate
backups--one with the regular TSM client (for the .pst mailboxes) and
one with TDP for Exchange (for the Exchange directory and information
store). This could require twice as much data being moved to the TSM
server.

04-06.  How do I force TSM to do a full backup of a client?
>From the command line, run
        dsmc selective <drive_letter>:\* -subdir=yes (Windows, for each
drive)
        dsmc selective <volume_name>:\* -subdir=yes (NetWare, for each
volume)
        dsmc selective /<filespace>/* -subdir=yes  (UNIX, for each
filespace)
to backup the entire drive/volume/filespace. From the GUI, press the
BACKUP button, select the desired data to backup, use the pulldown menu
to change "Incremental (complete)" to "Always backup", and press the
"Backup" button.

04-07.  Where can I download the latest version of TSM/TDP?
The latest full versions of TSM backup/archive clients are available
from the ftp site
ftp://service.boulder.ibm.com/storage/tivoli-storage-management/maintena
nce. You cannot download the (required) base level of TSM server code,
but you *can* download the latest version of the server patches at the
above ftp address. Similarly, you cannot download the (required) base
code for Tivoli Data Protection software, but you can download patches
for the base code at the above ftp address. Latest base code for the TSM
server and TDP agent are available from your Tivoli reseller.
There is a mirror of the above address at ftp://ftp.rz.unikarlsruhe.de/
(for European users).

04-08.  What's the very first thing I should do when I start using TSM?
Read the Administrator's Guide and the QuickStart manual, cover to
cover, and take notes. It's not exactly scintillating prose, but stay
with it. You'll be much happier later; I've not found an application in
which not reading the instructions can be more frustrating.

04-09.  I'm getting message ANRXXXXX from the TSM server. What does it
mean?
>From the administrative command line, type
        help anrxxxxx
and read the message. You can also look up the message in the TSM
Messages manual, and there is an online version of this service at
www.tivoli.com

04-10.  I'm getting message ANSXXXXX from the TSM client. What does it
mean?
>From the client command line, type
        help
Navigate through the menus to find information about the message. You
can also look up the message in the TSM Messages manual, and there is an
online version of this service at www.tivoli.com.

04-11.  My large-scale restores are slow. How can I speed them up?
1) Use collocated tape pools. (Just the primary pools, not the copy
pools.)
2) Use a disk-based directory management class.
3) Upgrade to TSM server 5.1 to take advantage of multithreaded restores
and MOVE NODEDATA.
4) Check your network settings to make sure that you're getting maximum
bandwidth.
5) Run a restore session for each filespace, rather than one session for
the entire node.
Number 4 above is more often than not a major culprit for this problem.
Make sure that all NICs and switch ports use optimum settings. (For
Cisco networks, hard-setting the speed (100 full duplex, 10 half duplex,
etc.) will usually get you better throughput than "auto-negotiate". Your
milage may vary.)
Please note that numbers 1-3 are of no use once the need for a
large-scale restore comes up. They are preventative measures that must
have been in place for some time prior to the need to restore. See Rule
#1 in answer 04-14.

04-12.  How can I back up files that are normally open, like database
files?
You can use the Tivoli Data Protection agents; TDP supports most major
database formats. You can also use an open file agent, like St.
Bernard's Open File Manager. You can use other applications, like BMC's
SQL-BACKTRACK, that allows TSM to multithread most database file
formats. You can temporary close the application (or instance) that uses
the file, back up the resultant cold flat file, and then restart the
application (or instance). Some database engines allow a "dump" of data
to a flat file, which can then be backed up as a normal file. Each
option has its advantages and disadvantages.

04-13.  What's all this about TSM and SQL select statements?
You can write SQL select statements to query the TSM database. There are
some limitations (joins are only partially supported). You can get
started by running HELP SELECT from the administrative command line. You
can do some pretty neat things with SQL statements; browse the mailing
list for a plethora of examples, or look at the scripts.smp file in your
server subdirectory.

04-14.  My boss wants disaster recovery procedures. What's the best way
          to do it?
Answering this would take pages and pages, and much of it depends on
your resources and your business needs. TSM is a fine tool to include in
your disaster recovery planning, but setting it up properly for DR is a
non-trivial task. If you don't have the time to do the proper research
(or don't want to), contract or hire a professional who knows how.
Rule #1 of disaster recovery: Practice it before you have to.
Rule #2 of disaster recovery (the 6P rule): Prior planning prevents
pretty poor performance.

04-15.  How do I get TSM to generate daily reports for me?
With some effort. TSM has no native reporting tools included. You can
use OS-level scripting (tough with Windows unless you use Perl), you can
use third-party applications like Tivoli Decision Support, Servergraph,
or TSMManager, or you can use an SNMP-aware monitoring system. (The MIBs
for TSM are in the file adsmserv.mib, found in the server subdirectory.)

04-16.  Why does version X of TSM have this bad bug in it?
Yes, there are bugs in TSM. It is a large, complex, evolving piece of
software that has to work and play well with literally millions of
different combinations of client hardware and software; the big surprise
is that there are not *more* bugs in it. If you run across a bug (or a
perceived bug), post it to the list, or scan the APAR list on
www.ibm.com to see if it's already been reported. To get rid of the bug,
upgrade TSM to a level where the bug has been fixed.

04-17.  Why does my copy pool tape reclamation runs so slowly?
If tape space reclamation tries to move files for which copies exist in
a cached diskpool, the algorithm that TSM uses for file access will pull
the file from the diskpool rather than the tapepool. This situation
causes reclamation to run *very* *slowly*. Tivoli claims that a fix of
this would require a massive rewrite of code.
One workaround is to turn off caching for the diskpool. Another is to
perform a periodic MOVE DATA from disk pool volumes to primary tape
pool, to flush the cache.

04-18.  I keep getting these "server out of license compliance"
messages. Why?
You are using more of a particular resource than your TSM server is
licensed to handle. Run a QUERY LICENSE to get a list of what you're
licensed for and what you're actually using. TSM runs on an honor
system; it will continue to run even if you're out of compliance. Be a
good doo-bee; purchase those extra licenses from Tivoli and look at the
HELP REG LIC response from the administrative command line (or the
Administrator's Reference).

04-19.  My scheduled backups fail (or are incomplete), but my manual
ones
          work fine. Why?
This almost always occurs in Windows servers, and it's always a Windows
permissions problem. By default, the TSM scheduler runs as a service
with System account privileges. By default all Windows files are
read/writeable by System; however, there are a few Windows admins (and
applications) out there who remove System privileges from files. (For
what reasons, I cannot imagine.) When a manual backup is run, it uses
the permissions of the account of the person who is logged on, not the
System account. (You can't log on as System, as it's a non-interactive
account.) The real solution is reset all files to have System read/write
privileges. If that's not possible, you need to alter the scheduler
service so as to use a logon ID with privileges that have access to all
files that you want backed up. Remember that if that logon ID changes
passwords, you're going to have to update the service properties to
reflect the new password.

04-20.  While backleveling my TSM client from 4.2.1 to 4.1.3, I get a
          "downlevel" message and no backup. Why?
When a node backs up data to a TSM server, the level of TSM client being
used is recorded as part of the node definition. When you backlevel the
client (say, from 4.2.1 to 4.1.3), TSM won't allow it to happen because
it thinks you should be using a more recent version of the client, which
may have features not available in the older version. The fix is to call
TSM support and have them step you through the process to fix the node
definition. This fix is potentially dangerous to the database, which is
why it's not distributed on the mailing list (or described here).

04-21.  Why do I get an "ANR1440I All drives in use. Process being
preempted
          by higher priority operation" message when my tape operation
stops
          running?
TSM has an internal list of priorities it keeps for various
administrative events and client operations. Restores are at the top of
the priority list (obviously), client backups are at the bottom, and all
the other fall in between. For details, look in the Administrator's
Guide under "Preemption of Client or Server Operations".

04-22.  I've deleted all data from a tape volume, but it hasn't come
back as
          a scratch tape. Why?
Check the DELAY PERIOD FOR VOLUME REUSE parameter for the storage pool
the tape belonged to.

04-23.  What is this ANR9999D error message. I don't understand it.
ANR9999D is the catchall error that (usually) indicates a problem with
low-level issues. See Richard Sim's entry on ANR9999D at
http://people.bu.edu/rbs/ADSM.QuickFacts for more details.

04-24.  I'm upgrading my TSM server/client from version X.X to version
Y.Y.
          Any known problems?
Read the Quickstart manual for the version you're upgrading to. (See
subsection 3 under answer 03-02 for the location.) Also, there should be
readme files, either in the new base media or in the subdirectory where
you downloaded the maintenance level or patch. There's a reason why the
file is called "readme". The procedures, basically, is:
1) Do a fresh full db backup of the TSM server (in case you have to fall
back).
2) Follow the procedures in the Quickstart manual and/or readme files.

04-25.  How do I restore one server's data onto another server?
On the target server, run
        dsmc -virtualnode=<nodename_of_source_server>
You'll have to authenticate the source server's nodename and password.
Now you can restore data onto the new server provided that the OSs
involved are the same. In other words, you can't restore data from a
NetWare box to a Windows box.

04-26. *Will my new tape library <brandX> work with TSM?
http://www-3.ibm.com/software/sysmgmt/products/support/IBM_TSM_Supported
_Devices_for_AIXHPSUNWIN.html shows all supported devices.  You can look
for yours here.

04-27.  My Windows client backs up the same 3,000 files or so every day.

          Why?
Your client is backing up the Windows system objects, most of which are
the .exe and .dll files from the \windows\system32 folder. Unless you
exclude system objects, they're going to get backed up every time you
back up the Windows box. Warning: if you exclude system objects, the
Windows registry will not be saved.

04-28.  I'm moving TSM to a new physical server. What's the best way
          to do that?
1) Install TSM on the new box/get the library set up/etc.
2) Point all the clients at the IP address for the new server by use of
the client option file.
3) Use the new server for backups, and the old server for restores only.
(You'll have to change the IP address of the TSM server in the option
file for any client that needs a restore done. Don't forget to change it
back when you're done.)
4) Let the data on the old server expire away for a period of time. When
the old data expires down to a point to where you can stand it, use
EXPORT NODE on a server-to-server connection to move the data across to
the new box.
Believe me, this is a lot easier than trying to export all of your old
server's data to the new box all at once.
A lot.

04-29.  How do I back up my NetWare NDS license files?
You can't, and you wouldn't want to anyway, because in the case of a
restore you'd have to reinstall the app that placed the license file in
NDS in the first place. You can exclude the license files by using
        EXCLUDE "NDS:*License ID*"
in your NetWare client's exclusion list; this allows you to avoid the
annoying "can't back this file up" messages you'll get otherwise.

04-30.  What's all this fuss about "cleanup backupgroups"?
If you used TSM server versions 4.1.x or 4.2.1.x, you most likely
encountered a bug in the server code that caused the system objects in
your Windows clients' backups to not expire properly. An upgrade to
4.2.3.x or 5.1.5.x fixes the bug, but you have to run
        cleanup backupgroups
to rid yourself of unwanted versions of the system objects. This subject
has been talked to death in the mailing list; go to
http://search.adsm.org to review the details.

04-31.  I'm trying to include some files for backups, but it's not
          working. Why?
If you have an EXCLUDE.DIR line in your include/excluse list, it will
override all INCLUDE lines, no matter what the line placement is.

Certified TSM consultant
Certified AIX system engineer
MCSE