ADSM-L

Re: TSM server on Linux w/3494-3590

2003-01-29 03:23:48
Subject: Re: TSM server on Linux w/3494-3590
From: "Marcel J.E. Mol" <marcel AT MESA DOT NL>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 29 Jan 2003 09:20:22 +0100
On Tue, Jan 28, 2003 at 11:16:23AM -0500, Zoltan Forray/AC/VCU wrote:
> We are investigating the issue of moving TSM off AIX to a Linux system,
> purely due to the cost of AIX hardware (lets face it....when it costs me
> $5000 for a drawer of used SSA drives just to get me 130GB of raided disk
> when I can get complete multi-processor x86 boxes with 300GB of raided
> disk for the same cost, you have to investigate !)
>

> The only issue is the fiber-channel/SAN connectivity to the shared 3494
> ATL (primarily used by our z/OS systems) using 3590 E1A drives.

A couple of years ago I connected a Linux box to a SAN to access disk
on an ESS. This worked fine (although the driver for the FC-card only
supported 16 LUNS but that was enough for our test).
So I suppose it shouldn't bne to hard to get a robot connected provided
you have drivers to support it.

-Marcel
--
     ======--------         Marcel J.E. Mol                MESA Consulting B.V.