ADSM-L

Re: archiving questions

2003-01-23 08:55:17
Subject: Re: archiving questions
From: "Cook, Dwight E" <DWIGHT.E.COOK AT SAIC DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 23 Jan 2003 05:49:05 -0800
Also, how often will they perform the archives ???
        how many files make up the data ???
        etc...
You want to take such things into consideration because they will have an
impact on your environment in general (in the form of tsm server data base
growth, tsm db performance issues, tape library capacity issues, etc...).

Anymore I look at data that is to be kept for over 1 year as stagnant data
(that I don't want in the environments).
When long term retention is required, I generally register a node by the
name of <existing node name>_exp, have them push any data they require kept
to the tsm server using that node name, then I export to two sets of tapes
and send to offsite locations.

Also, the way you may use relative dates during an import, if they need to
extend the retention, all I do is extend the time I keep the tapes.

just some food for thought...

Dwight