ADSM-L

Re: NT restore to different hardware

2003-01-22 16:41:21
Subject: Re: NT restore to different hardware
From: Orville Lantto <orville.lantto AT DATATREND DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 22 Jan 2003 15:36:26 -0600
This can be a tricky proposition due to "HAL" differences.  There is some
guidance in the Microsoft Knowledge Base, but such Restores are not
supported by Microsoft.

The easiest, and most sure strategy is to reload the OS and applications
onto the new box and restore the data.  If you insist on trying to do a
"Bare Metal Restore" onto new hardware, the basic strategy is to install a
temporary OS and TSM client into a different directory (Not  WinNT
directory), restore everything from TSM, and then use the Win 2K recovery
console, or the NT 4 repair procedure, to fix the HAL components.

I advise my clients to go the "Just Restore the Data Route", because it is
has less risks and I feel results in a cleaner and more reliable server.

Orville L. Lantto
Datatrend Technologies, Inc.  (http://www.datatrend.com)
IBM Premier Business Partner
121 Cheshire Lane, Suite 700
Minnetonka, MN 55305
Email: Orville.Lantto AT datatrend DOT com

and privileged information. Any  unauthorized review, use, disclosure or
message.

"Braich, Raminder" <raminder.braich AT DAVEY DOT COM>
01/22/2003 12:53 PM