ADSM-L

Re: extending archive retentions

2003-01-22 15:23:04
Subject: Re: extending archive retentions
From: "Cook, Dwight E" <DWIGHT.E.COOK AT SAIC DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 22 Jan 2003 12:17:09 -0800
WOW ! thanks for pointing that out...
I went ahead and tested it on an AIX 4.3.3 TSM 4.2.2.0 server (with AIX tsm
client) and sure enough...
I archived a few files into a mgmtclass with 365 day retention
cut the retention down to 10 days for that management class
activated the policy
went back to the client & did my "q archive" again and they are ~reported~
to expire in just 10 days now...
then because I'm anal (and wanted to see if what was ~reported~ was to
be...), I set the host forward one month (more than 10 days but less than
365)
accepted the date in tsm & ran expire inventory... sure enough... the data
is NO MORE...

OK, now how many sleepless nights will I experience trying to figure out if
this is Good or Bad ?

Dwight

PS below I've included select output from my test...

tsm> q archive /home/zdec23/decout*
             Size  Archive Date - Time    File - Expires on - Description
             ----  -------------------    -------------------------------
               96  01/22/2003 13:50:00    /home/zdec23/decout 01/22/2004 365
days
           54,673  01/22/2003 13:50:00    /home/zdec23/decout2 01/22/2004
365 days
           21,684  01/22/2003 13:50:00    /home/zdec23/decout3 01/22/2004
365 days
tsm>

tsm: TSMSRV01>upd copy standard standard archtest retver=10 t=a
ANR1537I Archive copy group STANDARD updated in policy domain STANDARD, set
STANDARD, management class ARCHTEST.

tsm: TSMSRV01>q copy standard standard archtest t=a f=d

            Policy Domain Name: STANDARD
               Policy Set Name: STANDARD
               Mgmt Class Name: ARCHTEST
               Copy Group Name: STANDARD
               Copy Group Type: Archive
                Retain Version: 10
            Copy Serialization: Shared Dynamic
                Copy Frequency: CMD
                     Copy Mode: Absolute
              Copy Destination: DISKPOOL1
Last Update by (administrator): ZDEC23
         Last Update Date/Time: 01/22/2003 13:52:35
              Managing profile:

tsm: TSMSRV01>
tsm: TSMSRV01>activate po standard standard

Do you wish to proceed? (Yes (Y)/No (N)) y
ANR1514I Policy set STANDARD activated in policy domain STANDARD.

tsm: TSMSRV01>q copy  standard active archtest t=a f=d

            Policy Domain Name: STANDARD
               Policy Set Name: ACTIVE
               Mgmt Class Name: ARCHTEST
               Copy Group Name: STANDARD
               Copy Group Type: Archive
                Retain Version: 10
            Copy Serialization: Shared Dynamic
                Copy Frequency: CMD
                     Copy Mode: Absolute
              Copy Destination: DISKPOOL1
Last Update by (administrator): ZDEC23
         Last Update Date/Time: 01/22/2003 13:52:35
              Managing profile:

tsm: TSMSRV01>

tsm> q archive /home/zdec23/decout*
Node Name: DWIGHT
Please enter your user id <DWIGHT>:

Please enter password for user id "DWIGHT":

Session established with server TSMSRV01: AIX-RS/6000
  Server Version 4, Release 2, Level 2.0
  Server date/time: 01/22/2003 13:54:15  Last access: 01/22/2003 13:51:26

             Size  Archive Date - Time    File - Expires on - Description
             ----  -------------------    -------------------------------
               96  01/22/2003 13:50:00    /home/zdec23/decout 02/01/2003 365
days
           54,673  01/22/2003 13:50:00    /home/zdec23/decout2 02/01/2003
365 days
           21,684  01/22/2003 13:50:00    /home/zdec23/decout3 02/01/2003
365 days
tsm>
tsm: TSMSRV01>show time

Current Date and Time on the Server
02/22/2003 14:09:01
UTC (GMT) Date/Time is: 02/22/03 20:09:01
Last Noted Date/Time is: 02/22/03 14:08:57

tsm: TSMSRV01>expire inv
ANS8003I Process number 62 started.

tsm: TSMSRV01>q pr
ANR0944E QUERY PROCESS: No active processes found.
ANS8001I Return code 11.

tsm: TSMSRV01>q occ dwight
ANR2034E QUERY OCCUPANCY: No match found using this criteria.
ANS8001I Return code 11.

tsm: TSMSRV01>accept date
ANR0893I Are you sure that you want to accept the current system date as
valid
?
Do you wish to proceed? (Yes (Y)/No (N)) y
ANR0894I Current system has been accepted as valid.

tsm: TSMSRV01>
tsm: TSMSRV01>show time

Current Date and Time on the Server
01/22/2003 14:09:31
UTC (GMT) Date/Time is: 01/22/03 20:09:31
Last Noted Date/Time is: 01/22/03 14:09:09

tsm: TSMSRV01>

Dwight E. Cook
Software Application Engineer III
509 S. Boston Ave.  Suite 220