ADSM-L

Re: Can a backup be stopped if not completed by a certain time?

2003-01-21 09:24:28
Subject: Re: Can a backup be stopped if not completed by a certain time?
From: Alex Paschal <AlexPaschal AT FREIGHTLINER DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 21 Jan 2003 06:23:44 -0800
Hmm.  I'll have to look into those throughput params Dwight mentioned.

Anyway, if that won't solve the problem, you can most likely script a forked
backup and a sleep, with a test for the backup process to kill if necessary
at a certain time.  Or you can have 2 schedules, one that starts a backup in
the background and immediately exists, and another schedule (or AT command)
at a later time that runs a script to test for the dsmc process and kills it
if necessary and starts your apps.  Or, you can have an admin script on your
TSM server that, at a certain time, checks for any sessions belonging to the
client and cancels them (should be possible, but I don't use those admin
scripts - I just use scheduled/cron'd shell scripts, which is also very
do-able).  I'm assuming you want to kill the backup, then start the apps,
but these suggestions, except the canceling sessions, could be implemented
without killing the backup.

I hope this helps.

Alex Paschal
Freightliner, LLC