ADSM-L

Re: database reorganisation

2003-01-21 09:24:07
Subject: Re: database reorganisation
From: Henrik Wahlstedt <shwl AT STATOIL DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 21 Jan 2003 15:23:43 +0100
Well well, so we actually dont have a criteria for unloading db´s?
I agree more or less (not necessarily buy new HW) with all responses so
far. But I was trying to define a criteria in my first unclear answer. You
dont have to unload your db, your TSM server will still run continuously.
I´ve only done it twice in our production system and it went ok.  It was
installed summer -98 with a 30Gb db and an average of 150Gb daily backuped.
Unload/load DB didnt look like rocket science to me. If I can manage to do
an unload,  everyone can. And if you make up a checklist and include
Roger´s arguments. You will be fine.:-]
1 all TSM stuff - ok
2 sanity - not sure
3 high blood presure - ok
4 marriage - ok, I bought her a Cucci bag with the extra money i got..

//Henrik

                    Mark

                    Stapleton            To:     ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU

                    <stapleto@BER        cc:     (bcc: Henrik Wahlstedt)

                    BEE.COM>             Subject:     Re: database
reorganisation
                    Sent by:

                    "ADSM: Dist

                    Stor Manager"

                    <ADSM-L AT VM DOT MA

                    RIST.EDU>

                    2003-01-20

                    21:21

                    Please

                    respond to

                    "ADSM: Dist

                    Stor Manager"

On Fri, 2003-01-17 at 04:30, Francois Chevallier wrote:
> What are the best criteria to know if it's time to reorganize the tsm
> database (by unloaddb /loaddbb)

It's almost *never* time to unload and load your TSM db. Most of those
who have done so to "fix" a fragmented db discover that the system will

The real way to improve db performance is to place your db volumes on
fast-access disk (SSA, etc.)

this message.
Thank you.