ADSM-L

Re: Statistical data LANFREE

2003-01-19 19:44:10
Subject: Re: Statistical data LANFREE
From: Zlatko Krastev <acit AT ATTGLOBAL DOT NET>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Mon, 20 Jan 2003 02:06:15 +0200
The real figure - 32-34 MB/s per LTO drive in IBM 3583 with drive
compression.

The "theoretical" comment - most of the times *source* disks cannot supply
data fast enough to feed more than 1-2 LTO drives. For different locations
the bottleneck is at different place but disk reading is the top one -
very rarely the read rate is over 80-100 MB/s and often is 20-30 MB/s.
Next poor-performer is bad disk layout - data is split for performance but
ends and same disks. The result in both cases is well-known -
"shoe-shining" (write, stop, write, stop, ...)

Zlatko Krastev
IT Consultant

Markus Veit <markus.veit AT BAYERBBS DOT COM>
17.01.2003 13:05