ADSM-L

Re: How is the *.PST freed?

2003-01-15 22:01:01
Subject: Re: How is the *.PST freed?
From: Curtis Stewart <curtis.stewart AT ATTBI DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 15 Jan 2003 21:02:10 -0600
Just because a user has a .pst on his computer, and Outlook open, it
doesn't mean the file is open. You can have multiple .pst files on the
PC, and not have Outlook open them. Also, if there is more than one
Outlook mail profile on the client and they both have .pst files, then
one of the .pst files will be available for backup.This might be what
you're seeing.

curtis

MC Matt Cooper (2838) wrote:

Hello all,
       I am using TSM 5.1.5.4 server and 5.1.0 and 5.1.5.2 clients on
WindowsXP clients.
       I have been tasked with backing up a couple hundred desktops, during
the day.   Of course the number 1 file of importance is everyone's E-MAIL.
We are using WindowsXP and OUTLOOK 2000.   I notice that many of the PC's
have there e-mail file OPEN and it is skipped.   However many are being
backed up and these people also have there e-mail open.   My Guess is that
after a period of inactivity that the outlook email file user.PST is
released.
DOES ANYONE KNOW THIS TO BE A FACT?
HOW CAN THIS 'period of inactivity' variable be shorted so most people get
there .PST file backed up?
Thanks in advance
Matt