ADSM-L

Re: TSM migration problem & recovery log question???

2003-01-14 09:26:35
Subject: Re: TSM migration problem & recovery log question???
From: "Cook, Dwight E" <DWIGHT.E.COOK AT SAIC DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 14 Jan 2003 06:20:47 -0800
Because of internal locks that aren't being readily resolved.
Look for a client (or clients) that have been connected for a long time (say
4-6+ hours)
Also look for other things like expiration, reclamation, migration, etc...
processes that might be running also.
Might only been client sessions though...
Anyway, generally (I've discovered) the log won't clear until those long
running clients either finish normally OR I cancel them.
We have had to increase some of our log sizes to 6 GB (6144 MB) in order to
allow things to run to completion and not have our log fill up and cause
sessions to die off due to log space being exhausted.

Now, media inaccessible, how is your library attached ?????
I've noticed (in the past) that if the library manager can't talk to TSM (or
tsm can't talk to the library manager) AND tsm requires a tape mount (which
fails because of lack of communication) even though I restored
communications to the library, I would still have to bounce TSM to get it to
start talking to the library again...
Is there something that is causing a loss of communications with your
library prior to this "media not available" situation ?
When things fail due to media not available does it report a specific volser
?
When things are bounced and start working again, does the problem volser (if
identified) become accessible ?

Dwight E. Cook
Software Application Engineer III
509 S. Boston Ave.  Suite 220