ADSM-L

Re: Objects compressed by

2003-01-13 15:54:03
Subject: Re: Objects compressed by
From: Richard Sims <rbs AT BU DOT EDU>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Mon, 13 Jan 2003 15:53:16 -0500
>I recall being told or reading (a long time ago) that the algorithm used by
>3590 tape drives is the same as used by the adsm/tsm client.

My aging notes on this indicate that the client uses Ziv Lempel (LZI)
and the 3590 uses a Ziv-Lempel technique called IBMLZ1 - which would seem
to be the same thing, as Dwight says.  Of course, this is all subject to
change at any time without anyone having to tell us.  Naturally, expect
different drive makers to utilize differing algorithms.  YMMV.

   Richard Sims, BU