ADSM-L

Re: Restore performance W2K file-server

2003-01-13 15:42:03
Subject: Re: Restore performance W2K file-server
From: "Prather, Wanda" <Wanda.Prather AT JHUAPL DOT EDU>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Mon, 13 Jan 2003 15:41:06 -0500
Doesn't the TSM Win client also support image backups for WIn2K now?

We also have seen that the problem on RESTORES is the speed at which NTFS
can create files.
(Consider how long it would take you to drag&drop 800GB of files.... can't
be any faster than that with TSM.)

If you do an image backup periodically, and incrementals daily, then when
you have to restore you restore the image, then just do point-in-time
incrementals.  Should make the restore MUCH faster for a very large full
disk.

But that's just theory, I haven't gotten around to trying it myself yet...