ADSM-L

Re: How to check utilization of your storagepools automaticly

2003-01-09 11:10:22
Subject: Re: How to check utilization of your storagepools automaticly
From: Matt Simpson <msimpson AT UKY DOT EDU>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 9 Jan 2003 11:09:12 -0500
At 16:05 +0100 1/9/03, Daniel Sparrman wrote:
"select stgpool_name, pct_utilized from stgpools where pct_utilized > 80"
will return all stgpools that have a utilization above 80%.

But be aware that pct_utilized can be misleading for tape pools.  We
had a storage pool were volumes in use had hit the max_scratch value,
so it wouldn't accept any more data, but pct_utilized was around 80%.
I think it's because pct_utilized is reduced when files are deleted,
creating empty spaces on tapes, even though the space isn't usable.
If you rely on that percentage to warn you when you need to add
scratch tapes, you might get bit like we did.  Use one of the sample
scripts that other people have posted here that actually counts the
volumes in the storage pool and lists that count along with the max
scratch count.
--

Matt Simpson --  OS/390 Support
219 McVey Hall  -- (859) 257-2900 x300