ADSM-L

Re: faulty media

2003-01-08 18:55:57
Subject: Re: faulty media
From: Tab Trepagnier <Tab.Trepagnier AT LAITRAM DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 8 Jan 2003 17:55:43 -0600
Peter,

I have a 3583 rather than a 3584, but over the last 1-1/4 years it's been
in service, the only time we've had a tape failure was when we had a
hardware failure - dead picker (four times), jammed drives (twice), etc.
We have 71 data tapes in our library and we've never seen one just fail.

Our system is running on AIX but in this case that shouldn't make any
difference.

Could you have electrical interference or SCSI termination problems?  On
my 3583 and DLT libraries I finally cabled them so that drive data does
not flow through the library controllers - the controller is the last
"real" device on the SCSI chain.  That made a world of difference in
reliability.

Good luck.

Tab Trepagnier
TSM Administrator