ADSM-L

Re: SAP TDP Restore

2003-01-03 06:55:07
Subject: Re: SAP TDP Restore
From: Richard Foster <Richard.Foster AT HYDRO DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 3 Jan 2003 12:33:39 +0100
Lawrie

If you want you can use the TDP direct. You issue a command of the type:
     backint  -f restore -i <filename> ... other parms

<filename> has 1 line per file you want to restore, with format
<description> <SPP qualified filename> <SPQ directory to restore to>

description is the identifier created by TDP when the DB was backed up -
you get it from the backup job output.

This technique can be used for both DB files and redo log files. It's
explained in the TDP manual
     Tivoli Data Protection for R/3 Installation & User's Guide for Oracle,
SC33-6340
available on the web.

Hope that helps
Richard Foster
Norsk Hydro

                    LawrieS@COMPAREXAF

                    RICA.CO.ZA               To:     ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT
EDU
                    Sent by:                 cc:

                    [email protected]       Subject:     SAP TDP Restore

                    DU

                    2003-01-03 10:11

                    Please respond to

                    ADSM-L

Hi All
I am running TSM 5.1.5 on Windows 2000 and SAP/R3 using Oracle on a TRU64
Unix Cluster. I backup the SAP Databases using the SAP/R3 TDP for Tivoli on
Tru64 Unix. I wish to restore the SPP (Production Database) to the SPQ (QA
Database) location, overwriting the SPQ database with SPP's database.
However when I use the SAPDBA tools it does not allow me to point SPP
restores to a new location. The only way I can see roumd this is to stop
SPP
rename it to SPQ and then Restore SPP, or modify the *.anf File from SPP's
backup with SPQ's location. I am not very knowledgeable on SAP/R3, so any
help will be greatly appreciated. This has been requested for test purposes
and will  not be the normal practice.

With the cluster consiting of 4 Compaq GS80 Servers these databases can be
running on any of the four machine, as the cluster software points to a
primary machine however if it fails the databases, applications etc. etc.
get failed over to one of the other 3 machines. So while there are 4 CPU's
the is not physical distinction as to where the databases and applications
are running. Therefore all 4 CPU's share the same directory structure on a
set of SAN disks aswell.

Kind Regards
LAWRIE SCOTT
For:
Persetel/Q Vector KZN
Company Registration Number: 1993/003683/07
Tel: +27 (0) 31 5609222
Fax: +27 (0) 31 5609495
Cell: +27 (0) 835568488
E-mail:  lawries AT comparexafrica.co DOT za