ADSM-L

Re: Link to TSM Clients

2003-01-02 14:40:54
Subject: Re: Link to TSM Clients
From: Zlatko Krastev/ACIT <acit AT ATTGLOBAL DOT NET>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 2 Jan 2003 21:36:20 +0200
If you follow links in right order you still can get out of IBM site's
mess:
Tivoli support "to be discontinued" site (http://www.tivoli.com/support)
--> Tivoli Storage Manager or Storage products?
(http://www.tivoli.com/support/storage_mgr/tivolimain.html)
--> "... IBM Online Software Support site on IBM.com"
(http://www.ibm.com/software/support/)
--> "By category:       Systems Management & Tivoli"
(http://www-3.ibm.com/software/sysmgmt/products/support/)
--> "Visit a Product Specific Support Page:       IBM Tivoli Storage Manager"
(http://www-3.ibm.com/software/sysmgmt/products/support/IBMTivoliStorageManager.html)
--> "Self help -> Downloads"
(http://www-1.ibm.com/support/search.wss?rs=663&tc=SSGSG7&dc=D400&rankprofile=8)
--> "Choose a category:        Client"
After selection of OS platform and login, the links point to the plain old
ftp-site:
ftp://service.boulder.ibm.com/storage/tivoli-storage-management/maintenance/client/<version>/<platform>/.../

<Disappointment>
To "make easier" to navigate the site you have to follow twice more links
than before.

Sometimes you may get the not-so-funny message:
"Your request can't be processed now,please try again later.
sorry for the inconvenience!!"

During this conversion "tivoli.com --> ibm.com" and all that
"web-consolidation" the whole web content become rather messy. Not to
mention in the past I was able to visit the site using browser without
JavaScript or "cookies". I remember recent post about Microsoft (?!?)
Internet Explorer being the *only* browser "supported" by ibm.com !!!

I thought IBM is making or claiming to make reliable, high-performance and
high-availability products. If their own site is not 24x365 how they do
expect from customers to believe the products are suitable for
"e-Business" as claimed?!?
</Disappointment>

Zlatko Krastev
IT Consultant

Jane Bamberger <jane.bamberger AT BASSETT DOT ORG>
02.01.2003 21:01