ADSM-L

Re: How much data is being backed up per client?

2002-12-27 11:30:43
Subject: Re: How much data is being backed up per client?
From: Bill Boyer <bill.boyer AT VERIZON DOT NET>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 27 Dec 2002 11:29:48 -0500
I do believe that the accounting data gives both the "Amount of data, in
kilobytes, communicated between the client node and the server during the
session" and the "Amount of backup files, in kilobytes, sent by the client
to the server". Mr. Lindsay Morris has a free script on his ServerGraph page
that will format out the accounting data. The ANE4961I gives the Total
number of bytes transferred during the session, and that includes changing
retries.

For the amount of data migrated, you can query the SUMMARY table for
ACTIVITY=MIGRATION and total up the BYTES column.

I would not rely on the summary table to the client backup sessions. There
have been so many APARS and supposed fixes for this, that trying to figure
out which server and client version actually fix the problem is confusing
and a moving target. Plus I belive this is again the total bytes
transferred, including retries, and not actually how much data was backed
up.

Bill Boyer
DSS, Inc.
"A life?...COOL!! Where can I download one?" -- ??