ADSM-L

Stgpool CRC check and node validate protocol?

2002-12-20 16:13:58
Subject: Stgpool CRC check and node validate protocol?
From: Matthew Glanville <matthew.glanville AT KODAK DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 20 Dec 2002 16:11:50 -0500
I was wondering if anyone has started to use the stgpool CRC checks and
validate protocol options available in TSM 5.1.x?

Recently I discovered upon a data restoration that a few tapes had bad
data.  Indicated by a 'data integrity error'.

I was able to trace down the cause (I think) to a bad disk that was in a
disk storage pool a few weeks back, and that those files were written to
the particular tape during a migration process.

I called TSM tech support and they seemed to indicate that TSM doesn't do
any sort of data read/write checking unless those options are turned on.  I
don't ever remember those options before verision 5, so it makes me wonder
how I never ran into any problems like this before.  (I have had bad
disks/tapes during migration before and never had a data integrity error).

So.  is anyone using those CRC checks or validate protocol options and does
it work have any side affects, slow things down etc?

Thanks

Matthew Glanville
matthew.glanville AT kodak DOT com