ADSM-L

Re: Client tries to backup non-existing files

2002-12-19 12:58:33
Subject: Re: Client tries to backup non-existing files
From: Mark Stapleton <stapleto AT BERBEE DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 19 Dec 2002 11:57:41 -0600
On Thu, 2002-12-19 at 08:10, Alexander Verkooyen wrote:
> One of our customers tries to backup a
> file system on a Solaris 5.8 system
> using a 4.1.2.0 TSM client.
>
> Our server is 4.2.3.1 on AIX 4.3.3.0
>
> Every night the backup fails because
> the client is unable to backup hundreds
> of files. The log file is filled with
> messages like these:
>
> I found one strange thing about these ghost files:
> Their names contain an *
>
> For example: my*file.txt

Well, there's part of the problem there. '*' is an invalid character for
a filename in any UNIX system I've ever heard of. Such filenames appear
from time to time when using misconfigured moves and copies.

Get the box's owner to rename the files so that the '*' doesn't appear
anymore. Such as:

        mv my?file.txt my_file.txt

See if that solves your problem.