ADSM-L

Mulitple Schedule backup strategy

2002-12-19 00:11:28
Subject: Mulitple Schedule backup strategy
From: Todd Lundstedt <Todd_Lundstedt AT VIA-CHRISTI DOT ORG>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 18 Dec 2002 16:31:37 -0600
I am trying to see if I am on the right track here.  I don't have a test
Netware server to play with.  Please let me know if I am thinking
correctly, or if I am way off base.  Thanks

I have recently been told that we need to backup certain files on a machine
weekly, and the rest of the files on the same machine daily.  I think the
way to go about this is to add another nodename in the dsm.opt file
(Netware server here), along with the excludes/includes for that "node".
So, the dsm.opt my NW-DCO-Server4 would look something like this...
+++++++++++++++++++
* Tivoli Storage Manager
  COMMMETHOD                TCPip
    TCPSERVERADDRESS         200.1.1.41
    TCPPORT                  1500

  NODENAME                  NW-DCO-Server4

 EXCLUDE          sys:\system\secaudit.log
 EXCLUDE          sys:\system\events.log
 EXCLUDE          sys:\system\system.log
 EXCLUDE          sys:\system\btrieve.trn
 EXCLUDE          SYS:\system\tsa\err$hst.*
 EXCLUDE          sys:\system\tsa\err$log.*
 EXCLUDE          sys:\system\tsa\skip$log.*
 EXCLUDE          sys:\system\tsa\tsa$temp.*
 EXCLUDE          sys:\system\sys$log.err
 EXCLUDE          sys:\_swap_.mem
 EXCLUDE          sys:\vol$log.err
 EXCLUDE          sys:\tts$log.err
 EXCLUDE       VOL1:\DEPT\VOLNTEER\VWORKS\...\*

 NWPWFILE YES

 QUIET
 PASSWORDACCESS GENERATE
 SCHEDLOGRETENTION 5
 NWIGNORECOMPRESSBIT YES

  NODENAME                  NW-DCO-Server4.a

 EXCLUDE          *
 INCLUDE       VOL1:\DEPT\VOLNTEER\VWORKS\...\*

 NWPWFILE YES

 QUIET
 PASSWORDACCESS GENERATE
 SCHEDLOGRETENTION 5
 NWIGNORECOMPRESSBIT YES

I would have to define the node NW-DCO-Server4.a to TSM, and schedule it
for weekly backups with the original schedule for daily backups.  Am I on
the right track here?  Am I missing something?  Is there a different/better
way to do this?

Thanks
Todd