ADSM-L

Re: Many, almost empty volumes ??

2002-12-18 12:02:56
Subject: Re: Many, almost empty volumes ??
From: "Coats, Jack" <Jack.Coats AT BANKSTERLING DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 18 Dec 2002 11:00:48 -0600
I have had this issue on some of ours, and  rather than fight it, to reclaim
a tape or two
I have done a 'move data <volname>' and if it is a copypool volume that is
offsite, it will
move the data from the volume logically (from local tape or disk pool) to a
new copypool
volume (or append to a current one that is onsite and in the library) and
them PENDING.

For some reason it sounds like you are not getting reclamation working for
you.  On
copypool volumes, if you have several that are small, like under 5 percent
on the
tapes, try setting 'update stg <your-copypool> rec=95' rather than a lower
number to
clean up the small amounts.  The work it up to 90, 85, etc, until you are a
the threshold
you like.  This method of 'stairstepping' would probably be better then the
'move data'
method (above) anyway.  But both work.

... JC